Wired Network Connectivity
Wired Network Connectivity describes how a computer can connect to the University’s computer network using a physical, or plugged-in, wired connection.
The wired system requires three elements:
- A RJ45 network jack.
- A RJ45 Network Interface Adaptor on your desktop or laptop computer.
- A CAT5 Ethernet cable with RJ45 plugs on each end for connecting the jack to the computer.
There is no charge for faculty and staff use of an existing network jack.
Charges for installing or moving jacks will vary by location. Refer to Business Phone costs.
Support or Help
If you need help or have questions about the service please use one of the following methods for contacting CCS for assistance:
- Email Computing and Communications Services (CCS) at IThelp@uoguelph.ca
- Phone our CCS Help Centre at 519-824-4120 Ext. 58888
- Visit us at the IT Help Desk in the Library.
If you cannot access this service, there may be a scheduled maintenance or a service issue occurring. Please refer to the following for more information:
Who is eligible to use this service?
This service is available for:
|Service availability||24x7 except during scheduled maintenance periods.|
|Service requests and problems||Response times vary, however we will do our best to answer as quickly as possible.|
How Do I Request or Access this Service?
To request any changes to network jacks, use the online MACdesk Work Order Request Application. Options include:
- Activate an existing network jack.
- Add a new network jack.
- Move or remove a network jack.