|MATLAB is a tool for doing numerical computations with matrices and vectors. It can also display information graphically. There are many different toolboxes available which extend the basic functions of MATLAB into different toolboxes available which extend the basic functions of MATLAB into different application areas. The name MATLAB stands for matrix laboratory.|
The current version of Matlab at U of G is Matlab 2018. Faculty at the University of Guelph may access Matlab in two different ways: in the McLaughlin Library, or on your own computer.
MATLAB is installed on the public computers in the McLaughlin Library.
Acquire a copy for your own computer:
If you are a faculty member at the University of Guelph, you may obtain the site-licensed copy of Matlab for home or office use. However, it may only be used while you are employed by the University of Guelph. Copies may be purchased from the Institutional Use Only part of the Software Distribution Site. If the MATLAB product you are interested in acquiring is not listed on the Software Distribution Site, please contact the CCS Help Centre to request a quote. A list of all MATLAB products is available on the Mathworks site.
There are two types of licenses:
- Academic - for research use.
- Classroom - license option is in support of instruction for students only and can only be installed in classrooms or instruction-only labs. Currently MATLAB is only installed in labs in the Albert A. Thornbrough Building (School of Engineering). Professors and graduate students teaching with the Academic Classroom license are granted the right to use the software for course preparation only. Please contact the CCS Help Centre at x58888 or email@example.com to acquire classroom licenses for Matlab
Both the Academic and Classroom licenses are concurrent and and may only be used while you are employed by, or a registered student at, the University of Guelph. If you leave the University you must officially transfer your license in order to take it with you.
Please note that some MATLAB products have dependencies on other products. A list of dependencies for each product can be found on the MathWorks website. Please ensure that you purchase (or already own) any dependencies of the MATLAB products you wish to acquire.
- CCS MATLAB Base Installation Instructions
- Mathworks instructions for Installing the MATLAB Family of Products (Win, UNIX, Mac)
CCS does not currently offer support for MatLab.
MATLAB online documentation contains information regarding functions, procedures and tips. It can be accessed from the Learning Mathworks website. Documents on the site include:
Free Online Tutorials Offered by Mathworks
- Academia MATLAB tutorials from the MATLAB student centre.
- Online Demos at MATLAB Technical Computing.
Most MATLAB software comes with documentation that is downloaded when you download the software. Please look in the directory you downloaded to, to locate the documentation for your software.
Reddit has an active matlab community. Check out https://www.reddit.com/r/matlab/