Understanding Your Password
Keep your Password confidential.
Do not disclose your Password to anyone, including University support staff.
Never log in to your University account at a site you do not trust.
You should change your assigned password immediately upon your first login and regularly thereafter. To do so, link to the Change Your Password Utility.
For more information about passwords, refer to one of these sections:
Your password should be difficult for others to guess but easy for you to remember so that you don’t need to write it down.
To ensure a secure password:
- Make it 8 characters long.
- Use a combination of alphabetic and numeric characters (for example, “aaa11aaa”). But, do not use a dictionary word or a 4-digit year because that combination can be broken using trial-and-error robotic algorithms.
- Because passwords are case sensitive, use a combination of upper- and lower-case characters (for example, “Aaa11Bbb”).
- Include special characters (for example, “Aa.11.Bb”).
- Substitute the digit zero for the capital letter "O" or vice versa.
To change your password, refer to Changing Your Password.
There are various ways to change your password, depending on your situation.
|You know your password.||all||Link to the Change Your Password utility, then change it online.|
|You have forgotten your password and you have subscribed to Password Insurance.||all||Link to the Password Insurance utility, then create a new password.|
|You have forgotten your password and you have not subscribed to Password Insurance.||all||Visit the CCS Help Desk in the Library with your University photo ID to have a new password assigned.|
|You have forgotten your password and you have not subscribed to Password Insurance.||Student||Contact the CCS Help Centre to have a new password assigned. (firstname.lastname@example.org , or x58888)|
|You have forgotten your password and you have not subscribed to Password Insurance.||Non-student||Contact your departmental administrator or computer support person to have a new password assigned.|
If you have forgotten your password and have already subscribed to Password Insurance you can reset your own password using the Password Insurance service. Otherwise a forgotten password can only be changed, not retrieved (see the Changing Your Password section for more information).