Webex Windows Desktop Application Guide
Webex Windows Desktop Application Version
Introducing Cisco Webex! Webex provides on-demand collaboration, online meetings, web conferencing and videoconferencing. This page will give you an overview of how to start or schedule Webex meetings from within the desktop application for Windows.
You may already have Webex installed. Type "Webex" in the search area on the bottom left of your screen to check for installation. If Webex is not installed, you can self-install. Here are the steps:
Self-install for Managed Desktops and Managed Desktops Shared Services:
- In the search box on the bottom left of your screen type “Software Center”.
- Click “Open” to start the “Software Center” app.
- In “Software Centre” app, change focus to “Applications” by clicking "Applications" on the left-hand side of the screen.
- You should see “Cisco Webex” displayed.
- Click on “Cisco Webex” then click on “Install”.
- After installation, you will need to Configure Webex.
Self-install for other units:
- Open a web browser and go to https://uoguelph.webex.com.
- Login with your U of G email address and password.
- On the dashboard click on Download.
- A window will appear with a button to Download the Desktop App and information on where you can download mobile apps
- (optional) Click Log Out and close the browser.
- Find and double-click webexapp.msi in your Download directory.
- Follow the installation wizard:
- Click Next, then accept the License Agreement and click Next.
- Click Install to install Webex in the default location.
- If prompted, click on Yes to allow Webex to make changes on your computer.
- Click Finish.
- After installation, you will need to Configure Webex.
Setting Webex up with Your Account:
- When the Webex window appears, enter your U of G email address.
- Select uoguelph.webex.com and click Next.
- Complete the U of G Single Sign-On page and click Sign In.
- The Webex Desktop window will appear.
Click on the tab with the icon of a house located at the bottom left of the app, this is the Home Tab. It allows you to start a meeting and join a meeting.
To start a meeting click on the green Start Meeting button. You will be directed to a Webex Meeting Room window.
- Click the … icon and a menu will pop up, select Invite and Remind to invite participants for your meeting. Enter the names or email addresses of the attendees (max 500). Click Send.
- You can also copy the Meeting Link URL to send to your invited participants to use to join the meeting once you have started it. To copy the link, select Copy Meeting Link from the drop-down menu under the same icon.
Note: From the Home screen of the app you can select the meeting URL manually or click the circle button in the top right beside your name and the link to copy it automatically.
- The meeting details can be found in the meeting window’s top left corner with a circle “i” icon.
You can join a meeting through typing in a Host’s Personal Room ID or through using a link to the meeting.
Personal Room ID
Enter the Personal Room ID of the host that is holding the meeting in the box below Join a Meeting. Click enter or the green arrow button to join. The Personal Room ID will be the username of the host.
Copy the meeting URL link that the host has sent you and enter it into the box below Join a Meeting. Click enter or the green arrow button to join.
Recent Personal Rooms
There is also the option to join a recently visited Personal Room. They will be listed at the bottom of the app. If you wish to visit the same room that appears in your recently visited list, click the circle with the host’s initials/profile picture of the room that you wish to join.
To share your screen:
- Start your Webex meeting.
- Click the Share content icon.
- Click the screen you wish to share or choose the application you want to screen share by clicking on Other Applications. You can share a file and create a whiteboard as well.
To stop sharing your screen:
- To stop sharing your screen, move your mouse to the top of the screen you are sharing. Hover your mouse over “You’re sharing this screen”. A grey bar will drop down, click on Stop Sharing.
- To stop sharing an application, click the red Stop button in the top right of the shared application.
To leave or end the meeting from the Webex meeting app, click the red "x":
- Select Leave Meeting
- Select End Meeting.
- Webex will prompt if you want to end the meeting for all participants, if so, confirm.
- Click Leave Meeting to leave the meeting but let it carry on for the other participants, you will be prompted to select a new host for the meeting before you leave.
- If you do leave a meeting without ending it, you can rejoin it if the new host invites you to it by sending you the URL for the meeting or inviting you via email. Upon rejoining the meeting, you will become the host again.
Click on the tab with the icon of a calendar located in the middle at the bottom of the app, this is the Meetings Tab. It allows you to view your upcoming meetings and schedule a meeting.
To view your upcoming meetings, click on the calendar icon.
- Your meetings will appear in a list format organized by the current date at the top with future meetings below.
- To select a specific calendar date in the future, click on the icon at the top right of the meetings tab. A view of a calendar month will pop up. You can view any date by clicking on the number. You can also switch to different months by clicking on the left and right arrows.
To schedule a meeting click on the icon with a + sign at the top left corner. A window will popup where you can schedule your meeting. You can schedule a meeting through the web client or through using an email app (ex. Outlook).
- The web client will open and a form will appear titled Schedule a Meeting.
- Fill in the details for your meeting. Set the time of the meeting, duration, and invite participants. Meeting topic and Meeting password are mandatory (you can use the password Webex creates for your meeting).
- If you click on Show More additional options will become available, such as setting an agenda or alternate host.
- Click on Schedule. The meeting is now setup and invitations will be sent via email to participants.
Note: If the meeting is scheduled for that day within less than 10 minutes the Schedule button will be replaced with Start.
- An email window will popup where you can send an invitation to your meeting.
- Add the subject, date, time, and invite participants with their email addresses.
- If you want to add an additional message to your meeting invitation, add it above the line of text that says, “Do not delete or change any of the following text”.
- If you want to send attachments for participants to have before the meeting, add attachments to the email invite.
- If you also have people meeting in a physical meeting room, click on the Rooms button beside the "Location" field in the email invite.
- Click Send.
To start a scheduled meeting, view the list of your upcoming meetings in the Meetings tab. Click the green Start button beside the meeting you wish to select. A meeting window will appear with the meeting controls.
To join a scheduled meeting, view the list of your upcoming meetings in the Meetings tab. Click the green Join button beside the meeting you wish to select. A meeting window will appear with the meeting controls.
Note: You will not be able to join a meeting until the host starts it.
Connect to a Device Tab
Click on the tab with the icon of a signal and rectangle on the bottom right of the application, this is the Connect to a Device Tab. Webex provides tips to connect video devices, such as microphones and webcams. You can also visit Cisco Support for more information.