Webex Windows Outlook Guide
Webex Windows Outlook Version
Introducing Cisco Webex! Webex provides on-demand collaboration, online meetings, web conferencing and videoconferencing. This page will give you an overview of how to start or schedule Webex meetings from within Microsoft Outlook.
Note: If the Webex icons do not show in Outlook, then you need to install the Cisco Webex Desktop Application.
If you are a CCS Managed Desktop client:
- You should have Cisco Webex preinstalled on your computer. If you are a Managed Desktop client and it is not installed contact Managed Desktops via the CCS Help Centre at 519-824-4120 Ext. 58888 or email at IThelp@uoguelph.ca and they will work with you to install it.
If your computer is managed by an IT team in your department or college, please contact and ask them to provide assistance installing the Webex Desktop App.
If you manage your own computer and would like to install Webex:
- Open a web browser and go to https://uoguelph.webex.com.
- Login with your U of G email address and password.
- On the dashboard click on Download.
- A window will appear with a button to Download the Desktop App and information on where you can download mobile apps
- (optional) Click Log Out and close the browser.
- Find and double-click webexapp.msi in your Download directory.
- Follow the installation wizard:
- Click Next, then accept the License Agreement and click Next.
- Click Install to install Webex in the default location.
- If prompted, click on Yes to allow Webex to make changes on your computer.
- Click Finish.
Setting Webex up with Your Account:
- When the Webex window appears, enter your U of G email address.
- Select uoguelph.webex.com and click Next.
- Complete the U of G Single Sign-On page and click Sign In.
- The Webex Desktop window will appear.
To Schedule a Meeting:
- Click on Schedule Meeting.
- A new window will appear under the Meeting tab to schedule a meeting; you will need to click on the Add Webex Meeting button.
- Add the subject, date, time, and invite participants with their email addresses.
You can Change Settings by clicking the gear button. This will allow you to:
- See the password (a password is required). You can use the password Webex generates for the meeting or change it to something else.
- Check the box if you do not want attendees to see the meeting password in their invite.
- Select your audio connection. In most cases use Webex Audio.
- Click on OK.
- You can also schedule meetings through your Calendar just like any other meeting you create in Outlook.
- Click the preferred date and time block on your calendar.
- Add names or email addresses (max 200).
- Ensure you click Add Webex Meeting.
- If you want to add an extra message to your meeting invitation, add it above the line of text that says, “Do not delete or change any of the following text”.
- If you want to send attachments for participants to have before the meeting, click the Insert tab and add attachments.
- If you also have people meeting in a physical meeting room find and click on the Rooms button beside Location in the email invite.
- Click Send. The meeting will be posted in your Outlook calendar with all the Webex details. External attendees will receive an email from you (the host) containing all the Webex details. Internal (U of G) attendees will have the meeting added to their Outlook Calendars.
As the host of the meeting you can make changes to the meeting such as the date or time, inviting other participants or reminding participants that haven’t joined the meeting yet.
- Select the meeting entry in your calendar and click Open file.
- An email window will pop up so you can add attendees, change the meeting details, or add information to the message (above the lines of text ONLY).
- Click Send Update. External attendees will receive an email from you (the host) with updated details. Internal attendees will have the meeting updated in their Outlook calendars.
- If you only wish to change the date/time, click the meeting and drag it to the preferred date/time. A popup will ask if you want to Save changes and send update, click OK.
To join a scheduled meeting:
- If you are the host or an internal participant, open the meeting entry in your Outlook Calendar, an email message will appear. If you are an external attendee, open the meeting email.
- If you are the host, look at the content of the email for a “go here” link for the host. A Webex window will appear, click the green Start button.
- If you are an invitee, click the Join Webex meeting link on the email. You will be redirected to Webex Meetings.
Note: In both cases you may be redirected to the U of G Single Sign-On page first. Enter your U of G email and password, click Sign In and proceed to the meeting window.
- You will be prompted to select your audio and video connection in most cases use Call Using Computer for Audio and WebCam for the Video. Click Start My Video if you wish to use video.
- A host (or designate) may click the Invite and Remind option to send a reminder to attendees who have not yet joined the meeting.
- A host or attendee may click the Share Content icon to share a screen or an application.
Note: If the host has not started the meeting on their end, you cannot join the meeting.
If you would like to immediately host a meeting and start it:
- Click the Meet Now icon. The Webex Meeting app will appear.
- Sign in with your U of G Single Sign-On, if prompted.
- Click the … icon and a menu will pop up, select Invite and Remind to invite participants for your meeting. Enter the names or email addresses of the attendees (max 500).
- Click Send.
Note: If you wish to invite people from your Outlook address-book click on Invite with your local email within the Invite and Remind option. An Outlook meeting window will appear with a Join Webex meeting link for your intended guests to click on.
If there is a meeting starting immediately and you have been invited as a participant you can join it in the same fashion that you join a scheduled meeting.
- Open the email invitation.
- Click the link under Join Webex meeting in green writing. The meeting details are shown.
- The Webex Sign In page for the host’s Personal Room displays.
- Enter your name and email address.
- Click Join Meeting.
- The Webex screen is displayed. Select your Audio connection. If required, turn on video.
If you are the host of the meeting, you can cancel it.
To cancel the Webex portion of the meeting only:
- Open the meeting entry in your Outlook Calendar.
- Click the Cancel Webex Meeting icon in the Webex tools.
- Click Send Update.
- The meeting itself is still scheduled.
To cancel the meeting entirely:
- Click Cancel Meeting.
- Click Yes to accept the change.
- Click Send Cancellation. Your email will ask if you want send an automated email to let the attendes know of the cancelation, select this option to inform them.
Note: The meeting will be removed from your calendar if cancelled entirely.
To leave or end the meeting from the Webex Meeting app click the red "X":
- Select Leave Meeting after clicking the red "X'.
- Select End Meeting.
- It will prompt if you want to end the meeting for all participants, if so, Confirm.
- Click Leave Meeting to leave the meeting but let it carry on for the other participants, you will be prompted to choose a new host before you leave.
Note: If you do leave a meeting without ending it, you can rejoin if the new host invites you to the meeting by sending you the URL for the meeting or inviting you via email. Upon rejoining the meeting you will become the host again.
To start sharing:
- If you want to share your screen with the participants in the meeting, click on the Share Content icon.
- A bar will display at the top of your screen while you’re sharing it.
- If you hover your mouse over this bar a menu will drop down which gives you access to a rich set of controls to alter how you are sharing the screen.
- Alternatively, you can click on Share on the menu at the top of the Webex window and select what you want to share.
- By clicking on Share in this bar, you can toggle what you are sharing to options such as a specific screen, file or video, share a specific application, or start a whiteboard for group collaboration.
To stop sharing:
- To stop sharing your screen, move your mouse to the top of the screen you are sharing. Hover your mouse over “You’re sharing this screen”. A grey bar will drop down, click on Stop Sharing.
- To stop sharing an application, click the red Stop button in the top right of the shared application.