Faculty Mobility Program
The Faculty Mobility Program aims to increase the number of institutional collaborations and student exchange agreements between Canadian and non-Canadian institutions eligible under the Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP). These agreements are created between colleges, technical or vocational institutions and universities in Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Program will award grants to faculty members to teach or conduct research for a short term in ELAP-eligible countries (Caribbean, Central and South America, and Mexico).
Internal Application Deadline - February 18, 2021. Internal Application forms can be found at the bottom of this webpage.
The Centre for International Programs will submit the applications to Global Affairs Canada on behalf of the University.
Scholarship value and duration
Funding for the ELAP Faculty Mobility Program is made available by Global Affairs Canada through its legal title: the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development (DFATD).
The Canadian post-secondary institution will receive funding in the form of a grant from DFATD and will be responsible for disbursing the funds to its successful candidates.
The maximum grant value per project is CAD 7,000. Recipients may seek additional funding from other sources (private or public).
The duration of the mobility is three weeks minimum and eight weeks maximum. Successful candidates may extend their stay with funds from other sources.
All funds provided by DFATD related to the project must be spent by March 31, 2022. The actual project end date may extend beyond March 31, 2022.
Canadian institutions will disburse funds to the recipient to contribute to the following costs:
- Transportation (economy fare, by the most direct route);
- Lodging, meals, incidentals (according to Treasury Board guidelines);
- Insurance costs;
- Expenditures related to securing visas or work permits.
Note: Buying equipment (computer, tablet, phone, printer, etc.) is not an eligible expenditure. Public servants (federal, provincial/territorial, municipal, or Crown corporations) are not eligible.
The following conditions must be met to ensure eligibility for the ELAP Faculty Mobility Program:
- Candidates must be full-time faculty members at Canadian public post-secondary institutions (Part-time professors and lecturers are not eligible);
- Canadian public post-secondary institutions will have to designate and provide contact information of the official coordinator responsible for submitting applications on behalf of eligible candidates to the scholarships administrator, the Canadian Bureau of International Education (CBIE);
- Host institutions must be at the college level and above;
- Host institutions will have to provide an invitation letter expressing their support and confirming that the proposed teaching or research project will indeed take place.
Grant recipients must teach or conduct research in the following eligible ELAP countries:
- Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos;
- Central America: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama;
- North America: Mexico;
- South America: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela.
Submitting your application:
Please note that applications must be submitted to Allison Broadbent, Study Abroad Manager at the Centre for International Programs by U of G's internal deadline of Feb. 18, 2021.
- Use the internal application forms attached to this webpage and include all required documents as outlined in the application
- Applications received in the Centre for International Programs by the internal deadline of Feb. 18, 2021 will be submitted to Global Affairs Canada by CIP on behalf of the University by the external deadline of Feb. 25, 2021.
If you have any questions please contact Allison Broadbent at firstname.lastname@example.org