Pre-Arrival Information

A red maple leaf

*Please note that all incoming exchange students will be required to meet the travel restrictions set by the Government of Canada. These restrictions are subject to change and it is recommended that students monitor the Government of Canada Travel Advisories website, and specifically the COVID-19 restrictions. We recommend that students do not make any plans that they cannot change or cancel. 

Acceptance Letter and Visas

Here are links to information about acceptance letters, visa requirements and applications, and contacts for Canadian visa offices. 

*Information about the NEW limits for exchange students' stay and immigration requirements 

Residence and Meal Plans

All exchange students who apply for residence by the deadline are guaranteed a spot in residence.  You will not be able to apply for residence until you have received your exchange acceptance letter from the University of Guelph, but will receive this in plenty of time to apply for residence before the deadline. Most of the incoming exchange students choose to live in the East Residence, East Village Townhouses or West Residences, but you can find out about all the residence on the Student Housing Services page. Some residences have mandatory meal plans, while others have an optional meal plan.

Living Off-Campus

There are several resources to help students find off-campus housing which you can read about here.  

Arrival and Orientation

Find out about the START International Orientation program for new exchange and international students, when you should arrive and move-in, and how to get from the airport to Guelph.

Health and Dental Insurance

Exchange students are required to buy two health insurance plans at the University of Guelph - a basic health plan (UHIP) AND the Student Health Plan that covers supplementary health services such as prescription medication. There is also an optional Student Dental Plan. Exchange students are automatically registered for these plans.