Strategies to Ensure Academic Success
Sometimes, as a student, you experience a variety of difficulties which impact your ability to succeed academically. It is important to identify these difficulties as soon as possible and get help. Depending on your particular situation, the options and strategies include:
- See the course instructor and/or teaching assistant for assistance in preparing for assignments, exams, quizzes, etc. Ask for help with specific concepts or material from lectures that you do not understand.
- Use the Learning Commons in the Library (first floor) - the earlier in the semester, the better. The services provided include assistance with essay writing, preparation for multiple choice exams, study habits, and organizing work load. For more information, call x 53632 or just drop in.
- Connect with a Personal Counsellor. If you are experiencing difficulties that are personal in nature, you can contact Counselling Services at x 53244 or drop by their office on the first floor of the J.T. Powell Building.
- Take a Stress Management Course. Stress management courses may help if you experience exam anxiety, suffer from headaches or lack of sleep. For more information contact the Stress Management Clinic at x 52662.
- Reduce course load. You may have already reduced your course load, but you may need to consider reducing your course load further if you are still experiencing difficulty. You need to think realistically about what you can complete – and what you cannot. You can drop courses any time before the last class day without academic penalty. You may receive a refund depending on when you drop the class(es).
- Hire a tutor. You can talk to your professors to see if they have any suggestions about senior students or graduate students who are willing to tutor.