Gryphon Wing 2021
Instilling a strong sense of equity and inclusion alongside professional ethics for new engineering students is the goal of a new ceremony launched by the University of Guelph’s School of Engineering, in the fall of 2019.
U of G Engineering students will pledge to uphold the highest standards of learning and conduct, and receive an ornamental silver wing pin, a replica of a wing of the University’s iconic Gryphon statue.
John Runciman, director of the School of Engineering (left), says the school fosters inclusivity and diversity in its educational programs to ensure students achieve academic and personal potential.
We recognize the importance of inclusivity to achieve our academic and human potential. We value diversity, collaboration and excellence in all its forms. Our culture is one of innovation, lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
As a member of the SOE community, I shall:
- Act at all times with courtesy, honesty, and respect towards others within and outside of our community.
- Actively support my peers and colleagues and contribute to an equitable and inclusive learning and work environment.
- Uphold the academic integrity of the University of Guelph and its Engineering degrees.
- Commit to lifelong learning to advance my body of knowledge and develop my capabilities.
- Promote a positive image of the School of Engineering and of the profession.