MA Leadership | Collaboration
Developing leaders from all career paths.
What makes Guelph's MA Leadership program unique is our collaborative approach to learning. You will find yourself tackling complex problems in leadership alongside professionals from a diverse range of industries, allowing you to gain valuable insights into your own leadership styles and abilities. Imagine a finance professional, a health care practitioner and a human resource leader working on a complex leadership case study, with each professional sharing their own leadership styles and abilities. This collaborative approach often brings about transformative moments for our students.
MA Leadership students typically work in:
Engaging with employees and creating organizational change is an integral part of every HR professional’s career. Whether leading a company through restructuring or finding the right talent for a niche role, HR departments need strong and competent leaders.
What HR professionals will gain from the program:
- Develop an ongoing awareness of interpersonal skills, and growing one’s and others’ leadership capacity.
- You will be challenged to further strengthen your own leadership competencies; and explore how to leverage the tools and resources for the development of others
The state of our health care industry is important to every Canadian, and strong leadership is crucial to its continued development and improvement.
What health care professionals will gain from the program:
- Using course concepts and theory, you will analyze a critical leadership issue that you and your organization are currently facing. You will examine all of the possible courses of action (and their outcomes) that you might take.
- You will be asked to identify and critically assess the various bases of power and influence within your organization; and explore political strategies to successfully accomplish objectives in the workplace.
Educators have an important responsibility to develop individuals as they walk towards a new chapter in their careers. Whether online or in a classroom, they help people realize their full potential.
What educational professionals will gain from the program:
- learn how to integrate your knowledge and skills relating to evidence-based management, and hone their ability to critically evaluate evidence.
Working with limited and public funding requires responsible and forward-thinking leaders. Professionals working in not-for-profit or government organizations benefit from learning with others and gaining perspectives on how to lead through change.
What government or not-for-profit professionals will gain from the program:
- Strategic decision-making skills, that can be applied to a wide range of industries
- Enhance your influence, conflict management and negotiation skills
Business (for profit)
To achieve success in business requires leaders who understand how to inspire others to work towards a common financial and organizational goal. Effective leaders need to understand their own strengths and weaknesses to inspire change.
What private (for profit) professionals will gain from the program:
- You will analyze your organization with the purpose of launching a change and propose strategies for effectively implementing or managing this change.
Military and policing
When the safety and security of others is on the line, effective leadership can have a lifelong impact on those around you. Students explore the historical underlying causes of key organizational decisions and what implications there are for evidence-based decision-making in the future.
What military and policing professionals will gain from the program:
- Deeper understanding of professionalism and ethical practice