You are here
Professor, Applied Human Nutrition
Room 324, Macdonald Stewart Hall
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East, N1G 2W1
519-824-4120, ext 52347
I am a Registered Dietitian with three research streams:
1. Body composition and energy metabolism. I am the Director of the University of Guelph Body Composition Lab, and a co-investigator of the Guelph Family Health Study (www.guelphfamilyhealthstudy.com), with a research interest in children's and parents' body composition.
2. Understanding why Canadians underconsume calcium and dairy products.
3. My pedagogical research stream focuses on student engagement. I am currently investigating the use of patient simulations in the education of undergraduate and graduate students in nutrition.
Post-doctoral fellow - University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2004
Post-doctoral fellow - Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2003
PhD (Nutritional Sciences) - University of Toronto, 2002
MSc (AHN) - University of Guelph, 1994
Dietetic internship: Hamilton Health Sciences, 1995
B.A.A. (Foods and Nutrition), Ryerson University, 1992
Recent Publications (*denotes student collaboration):
1. *Quehl R, Haines J, Lewis S, Buchholz AC. Food and mood: Diet quality is inversely associated with depressive symptoms in female university students. Can J Diet Pract Res. 2017 Mar 23:1-5. doi: 10.3148/cjdpr-2017-007. [Epub ahead of print]
2. *Watterworth J, *Mackay JM, Buchholz AC, Darlington G, Randall Simpson J, Ma DWL, Haines J, Guelph Family Health Study. Food parenting practices and their associations with child nutrition risk status: Comparing mothers and fathers. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2017 Feb 14. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2016-0572. [Epub ahead of print]
3. *Marcinow ML, Randall Simpson JA, Whiting SJ, Jung ME, Buchholz AC. Young adults' perceptions of calcium intake and health: A qualitative study. Health Educ Behav. 2017 Feb 1. doi: 10.1177/1090198116688439. [Epub ahead of print]
Community Engaged Activities
I am a co-investigator of the Guelph Family Health Study, a community-based lifestyle intervention for families with young children. https://www.uoguelph.ca/gfhs/
I collaborate with Dr. David Ma and Dr. Jess Haines and other University of Guelph researchers on the Guelph Family Health Study.
I collaborate with Dr. Ann Wilson, Dr. Clare MacMartin and Alexia Prescod on the use of theatre students as simulated patients in the training and education of nutrition undergraduate and graduate students.
I am a co-investigator of several grants including Canada Foundation for Innovation (for the purchase of BOD PODs and accelerometers) and the Canadian Institutes for Health Research (for the Guelph Family Health Study). I am the principal investigator of other grants (Dairy Farmers of Ontario, Dairy Farmers of Canada), results of which are pending.
With colleagues and trainees, my lab is investigating the body composition of children and parents enrolled in the Guelph Family Health Study.
I am also investigating the use of theatre students as simulated patients in the training and education of nutrition undergraduate and graduate students, and nationally, am investigating the use of patient simulations in the teaching of the nutrition care process.
Potential future projects
I am interested in increasing the household purchase and consumption of dairy products of families with young children. Two grants related to this project are pending.
MSc: Kaitlyn Vanderleest, Tory Ambrose, Valerie Hruska
Fall 2017: FRAN*6610: Advances in Clinical Nutrition/Assessment
Winter 2018: On sabbatical
When Not Professing, I am...