Admission Requirements Overview
Admission Requirements at Guelph
Only students who are graduates of recognized universities or establishments of higher education are eligible for admission to Graduate Studies at the University of Guelph. General Admission Regulations are found in the Graduate Calendar.
FRAN General Admission Requirements
- An Honours (4 years) Baccalaureate degree or equivalent (Please note: MAN Applicants must have an Undergraduate Degree from a dietetic program accredited by the Dietitians of Canada completed within the last 3 years)
- Our department has set higher admission criteria than the University for all of our graduate programs. A minimum cumulative average of 75% over the final 20 credits is required for admission.
- Specific course requirements, including statistics and research methods, should be specifically noted in the admissions package. Both of these courses must be completed within the last 5 years with grades of 75% or higher.
- The requirements may be in progress at the time of application. As long as potential students are able to demonstrate that the requirements will be met by the following September, admission is possible, but conditional upon successful completion of all requirements.
- Research interests must be compatible with those of one or more of the department's graduate faculty. To reiterate, it is recommended for thesis applicants to contact faculty prior to submitting the application to discuss shared interests. These shared interests should be mentioned specifically in the statement of research interest.
- Applicants are evaluated on a competitive basis.
- All graduate programs in the Department have a September entry only.
Please consult the Graduate Calendar for program specific requirements.
General admission requirements for the PhD programs:
Students applying to the Doctoral programs in the Department of Family Relations and Applied Human Nutrition must hold a master's degree - WITH A THESIS - in the field to which they are applying or a closely related degree.