Sexual Health and Relationships
Angela Underhill is a Ph.D. student in the Department of Family Relations and Applied Nutrition at the University of Guelph, Canada. She received a M.Sc. in Family Relations and Human Development (University of Guelph) in 2016 where her work focused on the sexual and relationship satisfaction of people living with sexually transmitted infections. Angela also received a B. A. in Arts and Business, and Sexuality, Marriage, and Family from the University of Waterloo, Canada.
Bulleted list of research interests
- Sexual health and relationships
- Women and HIV
- Sexual/gender diversity
- Social justice
- Critical feminist theory
- Qualitative research
Angela is a research coordinator for the Women and HIV Research Program at Women’s College Hospital in Toronto, Canada. Her work focuses on women and trans folks and HIV, equity in healthcare, community-based research, and families. Angela is also a research associate at Re•Vision: The Centre for Art and Social Justice at the University of Guelph, Canada. In her role at Re•Vision, Angela collaborates on several grants that focus on embodied difference and explores how to advance social inclusion and equitable care.
Hawa, R., & Underhill, A. (in press). Examining gender relations among South Asian immigrant women living with HIV in the Greater Toronto Area: An anti-oppressive lens. Atlantis: Critical Studies in Gender, Culture & Social Justice.
Underhill, A., Kennedy, V. L., Lewis, J., Ross, L. E., & Loutfy, M. R. (2016). Assessing access for prospective adoptive parents living with HIV: An environmental scan of Ontario’s adoption agencies. AIDS Care, 28, 1269-1273. Open Access.
- Underhill, A., Kennedy, V. L., Brophy, J., Loutfy, M., Wu, W., Carter, A., Proulx-Boucher, K., Webster, K., de Pokomandy, A., Kaida, A., & the CHIWOS team. (2017). Sexual Satisfaction: Determining unique clinical needs of the first generation of young women living with HIV since childhood through the Canadian HIV Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Cohort Study (CHIWOS). 9th Annual International AIDS Society Conference, Paris, France, July 2017 (Poster Presentation).
- Underhill, A., Neustifter, R., & Milhausen, R. (2017). “18 Years Ago We Were Extremely Careful…Now It’s Just Part of the Furniture”: A Qualitative Exploration of Relationships Involving A Partner Living with a STI. In Abstract program at the Guelph Sexuality Conference: Pain, Guelph, ON, July 2017 (Oral - Research Brief Presentation).
- Underhill, A., & Landry, S. (2017, March 30). Sexual health and pleasure in pregnancy. [Oral Presentation]. McMaster Midwifery Teatime, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (Invited).
- Underhill, A., Kennedy, V. L., Lewis, J., & Loutfy, M. (2016, May 26). An Ontario case study: Adoptive parents living with HIV and the adoption agencies that serve them. [Oral Presentation]. Succeeding in Scholarship: IHPREG Student Symposium, Interdisciplinary HIV Parenting Research & Exchange Group (previously known as the Interdisciplinary HIV & Pregnancy Research Group), Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Invited).
Grants or Funding
- AWARDED: CO-APPLICANT, Review of New Research Opportunities Related to Healthy Aging in Women with HIV Infection (PIs: Drs. Mona Loutfy and Nisha Andany)- The Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Planning Grant, 2017
- AWARDED: KNOWLEDGE USER, Developing Community Driven Consensus for Infant Feeding in HIV in Canada (PI: Dr. Sarah Khan)- Canadian Institutes of Health Research Planning and Dissemination Grant – Institute Community Support, 2016-2017
- Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship Doctoral, The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), September 2017-August 2020
- Graduate Excellence Entrance Scholarship (awarded based on academic excellence), University of Guelph, September 2016-August 2017
- Dr. Margaret McCready Tribute Scholarship (awarded for high academic achievement and research accomplishments), University of Guelph, September 2016-August 2018
Social Media Profiles: www.linkedin.com/in/angela-underhill-b9758426