FARE's research excellence and leadership recognized.
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2018
The Canadian Agricultural Economics Society hosted its awards ceremony at their annual meeting in Vancouver on July 28th, 2018. These awards recognize research excellence in agricultural economics and related fields. A number of people from FARE were recognized for the quality of their research. This includes:
- M.Sc. alumni Zhenhua (Joshua) Sun won the CAES Outstanding M.Sc. Thesis Award for his thesis “Differentiating the effects of risk-aversion and overconfidence among agricultural enterprises” Professors Ying (Jessica) Cao and Alfons Weersink were Joshua's thesis co-advisors. This is the tenth time a Master's student from FARE has won this award since 2005.
- Alan Ker's paper "The economic impact of a food-and-mouth disease outbreak for Ontario's beef sector" was recognized with an honourable mention in the Outstanding CJAE Article Award competition. This paper was co-authored with Alex Cairns, Tor Tolhurst, Ken Poon, David Jacques and Lin Yang (all of whom were graduate students in FARE), and Stephen Duff (from OMAFRA).
Faculty members in FARE continue to make significant contributions to the leadership of our discipline:
- Alan Ker's term as Past-President of the CAES concluded, while Brady Deaton stepped into the President's role.
- Richard Vyn and Kwaku Afesorgbor serve as Directors on the CAES Executive .
- Getu Hailu continues to serve as an Editor of the Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Yu Na Lee joined the editorial board of the Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics (Alan Ker also serves on the board)
Our sincere congratulations to all whose efforts were recognized, and thanks to faculty members who make these important contributions!