The following key steps should assist you in filling out the ECS travel claim form. For a more complete overview, please view the ECS tutorial
- All input areas are highlighted BLUE.
- Click on the SAVE button often during your ECS session, to ensure that you don’t lose information that you have entered.
- Be sure to enter the Start and End Dates, the Destination, and the Purpose/Notes. Also, enter the name(s) and title(s) of the approver(s) in Supervisor/Chair and/or the Dean/Director. For claims over $5,000 the Dean or Director name and title must be completed in order to validate and submit the claim.
- Receipts can be entered in Canadian dollars or a foreign currency with the appropriate exchange rate.
- If you run out of receipt lines, click the SAVE button and additional rows will be added.
- Please refer to the HELP features on the travel claim for guidance on Airfare location tax, Hospitality coding, and Commonly Used Object Codes.
- If you have a large number of similar expenses within the same category/location tax (eg. gas or meals in Ontario), it is helpful to group them. You can either create a spreadsheet, or for meals use the Travel Meal Log. Enter all receipts into the spreadsheet/log, and calculate the total. The total is then entered into one line of the claim form. The receipts are then attached to the spreadsheet/log and included with the claim.
- If the claim is for a Tri-Council grant, click on the Tri-Council section and complete the Tri-Council Certification form.
- Remember to enter your account coding, which includes: Fund, Unit, Grant, Project and Other object code(s), if applicable. Once all coding has been entered, click on the Verify Coding button. If Invalid, please check with your department contact for coding assistance.
- Once your form is completed, click on the Validate/Submit button. If the Validated claim status shows “No”, then look for the error(s). Once the error(s) have been corrected, save your claim, and click on the Validate /Submit button again.
- To print your claim, click on the PDF icon located above the Return/Cancel button.
- Number all receipts according to the claim form, and attach them in order to the hard copy of the claim. Sign and obtain the approval signature (one level up approval – Supervisor / Chair / Dean / Director). Send the printed form/receipts to your departmental contact for submission to Payment Services.