- Select and analyze (moisture and fat) cheese for processing. Normally a three month blend is preferred for processed Cheddar.
- Calculate the formula.
- Add all ingredients into the cooker.
- Mix thoroughly (3 min at high speed).
- Remove a sample for pH analysis. If the pH is higher than 5.6, add more acid.
- Blend and heat with vacuum applied to 70C. Then turn vacuum pump off and continue heating to 85C. Hold at 85C for 2 min.
- Package process cheese hot in boxes. Spreads should be homogenized while still hot and packaged in sanitized jars.
Price, W.V. and Bush, M.A. 1974. The process cheese industry in the United States: A review. I. Industrial growth and problems. J. Milk and Food Technol. 37: 135 - 152. II. Research and development.Ibid 37: 179 - 198.
TABLE 20.1 Process cheese composition control: Example
TABLE 20.2 Process cheese composition control