Raw Milk quality tests
The following list is a summary of the most important raw milk quality tests. Procedures for some milk quality tests are described in Process and quality control procedures.
- Total plate counts: good < 3,000/ml; maximum raw milk 100,000
- Coliforms: good < 10/ml; concern > 25; max 100
- Psychrotrophes (grow at T < 7C): good < 1,000
- Somatic cell counts: good <100,000; concern >300,000;
- Rapid test for inhibitors
- Disk assay (official test for inhibitors)
- Added water: maximum freezing point -0.505C (-525H)
- Composition: fat, protein, lactose, total solids, and casein if possible.