Quality Manager, Martin’s Processing
REPORTS TO: Plant Manager
LOCATION: Elmira facility
HOURS: Full time position. Day shift Monday- Friday, some weekend work may be required during busy periods.
Our plant is growing and we are looking for a great Quality Manager to grow with us!
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Quality Manager’s chief responsibility is to maintain BRC certification for the Processing Plant by supporting and maintaining the food safety culture within the plant. This position reports to the Plant Manager and is responsible for the maintenance, development and implementation of HACCP Plans, SOP procedures for the Martins Processing Division and all other records related to the BRC Food Safety Program. The Quality Manager is a leader in food safety culture for the plant and will be well versed in methods and theory of food microbiology allowing them to actively manage the Environmental Monitoring Program and further develop the micro testing program if required. The incumbent will be responsible for daily departmental administration functions with regard to the Food Safety System and Quality System to meet and exceed BRC/ CFIA/ FSMA requirements. The incumbent will develop and maintain and execute the training matrix for all staff as well as implement QC Technician Training and have the ability to act as a backup QC Technician if required.
- Monitor, maintain and revise prerequisite programs
- Act as Internal Auditor and manage the BRC Internal Audit Program
- Perform risk assessments to determine requirements for BRC program
- Lead the HACCP Team and monitor, maintain and revise and create HACCP Plans for food processing plant
- Develop, implement and train new policies and procedures to Elmira processing staff
- Monitor product attributes to ensure product quality is at targeted levels through verification of records and physical activities.
- Plan and develop quality-related procedures and systems
- Training and advising personnel in QC and food safety procedures and policies
- Manages QC staff, including scheduling, employee discipline and support of staff development
- Coordinates and communicates all quality and food safety process to production
- Recommends and assists in the development of new methods and quality/food safety service techniques and pertinent changes when applicable.
- Drives quality services related to Continuous Improvement Processes
- Performs HACCP/GMP/Food Safety audits on scheduled intervals and follows up with CAPA when required
- Assure compliance to food safety, regulatory and company policies
- Support organizational culture change through facilitative leadership
- Assure compliance with all established safety procedures
- Verifies and validates methods, procedures and policies as required for BRC certification.
- Provides guidance, explanation and direction for scheduled and unscheduled reviews of the Food Safety System (HACCP Plan and Pre-requisite Programs).
- Provides guidance and direction to plant and QC personnel in developing corrective action.
- Maintenance of corporate policies relating to Food Safety and Quality.
- Liaises with customers in matters relating to Food Safety, Quality and Product Development
- Provides all necessary information for surveys, requests and questions from external customers.
- Assist in QC testing within the processing plant when necessary.
- Lead and/or participate R&D projects as appropriate
- Act as a leader for QC micro testing. Will be capable of performing all micro related tasks, developing testing parameters and troubleshooting issues related to micro results.
- Responsible for keeping the organization informed of all relevant legislative, scientific and technical developments in the processed fruit/vegetable industry:
- Processed fruit/vegetable regulations and or standards according to the CFIA
- Industry regulations and standards applicable in the country of raw material supply, production and county where products are to be sold.
- Conduct Monthly BRC review meetings
- Develop new products and packaging concepts under SRED
- Other projects as assigned by Management.
- Bachelor’s degree or other post-secondary education in Food Science, or related discipline such as Microbiology, Chemistry, and Biotechnology.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in QA/QC role in food manufacturing, preferably in a GFSI recognized food safety environment.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in development, implementation and revision of HACCP/ Food Safety Plans and pre requisite programs and microbiology testing.
- Previous experience in a management or supervisory role preferred.
- Effectively conveys information verbally and in writing and uses active listening skills.
- Computer / Technical Literacy - MS Office.
- Strength in documentation, observation and communication skills are a must.
- Flexible, adaptable, highly organized and able to manage multiple priorities.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work on a team.
- Planning, organizing, decision making and problem solving skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret a variety of technical information in mathematical and/or narrative form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to think logically and quickly to take appropriate actions needed to correct impromptu situations. Must be observant and aware of surroundings and be able to transfer accumulated knowledge in differing situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The employee is required to stand, sit, walk, push, pull, climb, reach overhead and bend to the floor.
- Exert 10 -50 pounds of force occasionally and/or exert up to 10 pounds of force frequently.
- The employee is subject to a production environment 20-40% of the work time.
- High noise levels from machinery.
- Physical hazards from moving machine parts.
- Areas of the plant operate at temperatures below 10°C to maintain apple freshness; the QC Manager will be working primarily in a lab or office setting at room temperature and will work in the cold, wet areas for short periods of time.
IN CASE OF ABSENCE OF THE QC MANAGER:
- Decisions related to food safety and quality will be the responsibility of the QC staff with support from the Lead QC Technician (day shift) and direction from the Plant Manager.
- Verification of paperwork will be the responsibility of the Plant Manager, another HACCP Team member or Lead QC Technician.