Purpose of Research
The purpose of this research project is to use GIS and remote sensing to identify what areas of Mackenzie County, Alberta are at the highest vulnerability for forest fires.
- To identify the variables related to the susceptibility and likelihood of wildfire ignition.
- To develop a GIS-based model for the susceptibility of forest fires.
- To develop a GIS-based model for the likelihood of ignition of forest fires.
- To apply the GIS models to identify highly vulnerable areas in Mackenzie County, Alberta.
- To evaluate strengths and limitations of the GIS-model (error & uncertainty) and identify possible mitigation strategies using the model.