Second Year (Semesters 3 & 4)

Please note: this information is for students who are enrolled in an academic calendar PRIOR to 19/20 (eg. 16/17, 17/18, 18/19)

 General tips

  • Declare your area of emphasis by the end of semester 4. To declare your area, see the International Development advisor to complete an ‘Undergraduate Schedule of Studies Change Request’ form. The ID advisor must sign your form before you bring it to the BA counselling office (MACK 130) for approval and then to Undergraduate Program Services (3rd floor, University Centre). If you wish to declare a minor or make other changes to your specializations, you can do so on the same form.
  • Review your academic/program evaluation Your evaluation is a summary of your degree and specialization requirements. You can use it to check if you are on the right track to meet graduation requirements and to help you with course selection. At any time, you can view and print your evaluation, which is available on Webadvisor. You have questions or not sure how to read your evaluation? Visit the ID advising office or the BA counselling office for assistance (see Academic advising & support).
  • Interested in international study? If you are interested in studying abroad, you will need to start planning at least a year in advance. Applications are due in January for travel the following academic year. Go to Study Abroad for more information.
  • Be involved! Volunteer on campus, locally or internationally! Go to Volunteer Opportunities.
  • What about a minor or certificate? You might wish to explore adding a minor to your degree or a certificate. Keep in mind that adding a minor or certificate is optional.
  • Are you using your Gryph Mail account? It is the official way the University corresponds with you. Make sure that you check it on a regular basis.

Course selection tips

Where to start?
Find the ID course requirements in the undergraduate calendar (under Degree Programs, Bachelor of Arts, and then International Development) and use this as a guide to help you choose your courses.

Use Webadvisor to find out which courses are available in the coming semester(s). In both the calendar and on Webadvisor, you can click on individual course codes to see additional information (this is useful, for example, to look up prerequisite information).

Your academic/program evaluation on Webadvisor is a useful tool to check what requirements you have completed and which courses you still need. You need to log in under the Students menu in Webadvisor to access your evaluation.

Which ID courses should I take in second year?
Unlike first-year courses, most 2000-level courses are offered only once a year. So, plan to take your required courses when they are offered. For example:

  • ID core required courses offered in the Fall only:  ECON*2650, GEOG*2030, POLS*2080
  • ID core required courses offered in the Winter only:  IDEV*2400 (IDEV*2500 is no longer offered)

Work on the core and start your area of emphasis
In second year, you should focus on core requirements and start taking some of the courses in the area of emphasis that interests you the most. This is particularly important if you are planning a study abroad experience. If you are unsure of your area, try to narrow down your choice to two possible areas and take a sample of courses from each.

Take the course if it is available and fits into your timetable. The course may not be available next semester or next year.

Plan ahead (or backwards!)
Check prerequisites for senior-level courses you will take next semester or next year (including any senior electives you would like to take). See the Course Descriptions in the calendar for general information and to check prerequisites. As long as you have met the prerequisites, you can take some 3000-level courses in the winter of your second-year (semester 4).

Use course outlines to help you choose
Not sure which course to take? It can be quite helpful to review course outlines to help you decide. Most departments will post current or recent course syllabi on their websites (see complete list of all department websites). Note that the course content will vary depending on the instructor teaching the course. If the course outline is not available on-line, contact the instructor or the department to request the syllabus or more information about a course.

Looking for electives?

  • Read the course descriptions in the calendar - for ideas of courses in the departments or academic units that interest you.
  • Use Webadvisor to do a broad search by subject area instead of searching for specific courses.

Course selection FAQ

Need help? Contact the ID advisor.