Oh, the Places You've Been! Photo Contest
The GIDS “Oh, the Places You’ve Been!” Photo Contest is an opportunity to showcase any international development-related (study abroad, volunteer, research, internship, academic/course-based, work) experiences you had during the past academic year (17/18). Show us where you’ve been and you’ve done by telling the story through your photos.
Contest opens: Monday October 14th, 2019
Contest closes: Monday November 4th, 2019 at 11:59 pm
First place winners in each category will receive a $75 hospitality gift card, second place will receive a $50 hospitality gift card. Third place is honourable mention.
Taking light inspiration from the GIDS areas of emphasis, this year’s photo contest will highlight development in a variety of contexts that students might find themselves in:
- Environment in development: Show us the landscapes, wildlife, flora and fauna and natural phenomena of your experience.
- People in development: We want to see the people you encountered and the connections you made during your experience.
- Culture in development: Culture, traditions, food, architecture – they were all a part of your experience. Send in your pics!
- Self in development: Show us the highlights of your unique learning experience.
Rules and Regulations
- The contest is open to any University of Guelph student registered in the ID Major, Minor or Area of Concentration or ID Graduate Collaborative Specialization.
- Participants are permitted to submit two photos per category, but cannot exceed this number. If more than two are submitted, the first two received will be considered while the others will be disqualified. In addition, participants may only win once in total.
- Your submission must be your own original work and must never have been previously published, exhibited publicly, or selected as a winner in any other contest. Entries not complying with these contest rules will be disqualified.
- Photos must be submitted as .jpg files that are accompanied by the submission form in order to be entered into the contest.
- Each photo must be a minimum of 7.0 megapixels.
- Each photo file that is submitted must be labelled with the participants’ full name, and category that they wish to contribute to. For example, TomJohnson – category 1.
How to Submit your Pics
Before submitting your photos, please review Guidelines for Ethical Photography by Dr. Steffi Hamann to ensure that the photos you’re submitting meet these standards.
It is important to the Guelph Institute of Development Studies (GIDS) that you understand how your photo will be used in the future. Please read this section carefully. By submitting to the GIDS “Oh, the Places You’ve Been” photo contest you hereby give the GIDS permission to publish, edit and/or use your photo in the future without further compensation. This may include but is not limited to the use of photos for advertisement and promotional such as social media, posters/brochures, the GIDS website and other online postings, and events throughout the University.
The prize winners in each category will be selected by a panel of judges appointed by the Guelph Institute of Development Studies. Winning submissions will be announced November 29th, 2019. The decision of the judges is final.