Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST)
The Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST) is designed to encourage excellence in graduate studies in science and technology. The program is jointly supported by funds provided by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development ('ministry') and funds provided by the University of Guelph. The ministry contributes two-thirds of the value of the award and the university provides one-third.
For 2018-19 the University of Guelph may award 32 QEII-GSST.
The QEII-GSST is valued at $15,000 for one year. A recipient will be awarded $5,000 per semester for up to three semesters.
To be considered for a QEII-GSST, interested applicants must submit an Ontario Graduate Scholarship Application .
Students are limited in the number of years that they may hold a QEII-GSST.
Master's students may receive the scholarship for a maximum of two years. Doctoral students may receive the scholarship for a maximum of four years. Both are subject to a lifetime maximum of six years per student.
In addition, QEII-GSST guidelines restrict students to a lifetime maximum of six years of government-funded awards and prohibit students from holding a QEII-GSST and another government-funded award concurrently.
Awards under the following programs are included in these restrictions:
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship Program (OGS)
- Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST)
- Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR)
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS).
Capacity Development and Extension
Family Relations and Applied Human Nutrition (Applied Human Nutrition only)
Food Safety and Quality Assurance
Geography (MA.GEOG excluded)
Human Health and Nutritional Sciences
Landscape and Architecture
Mathematics and Statistics
Molecular and Cellular Biology
Psychology (only PSYC programs that collaborate with TOX or NEUR)
To be considered for a QEII-GSST, a student must:
- Have applied to the Ontario Graduate Scholarship OGS competition and have met all eligibility requirements.
- Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person; international students who are studying in Ontario with a student study permit are not eligible to for QEII-GSST awards.
- Be registered or intend to register in a QEII-GSST eligible program on a full-time basis
To hold a QEII-GSST:
- Recipients must register and remain enrolled as a full-time student at the University of Guelph in an eligible program.
- Recipients who withdraw, transfer to part-time studies, or fail to complete the semester are required to repay the award for incomplete and future semesters. A withdrawal in a subsequent semester will not require repayment of the award for any completed semesters. A recipient who plans to complete their program during a semester they hold the OGS should contact the Graduate Awards Officers (firstname.lastname@example.org) to determine if they will be required to pay back their award.
- Recipients cannot hold a QEII-GSST concurrently with the following:
Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS)
Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS)
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC)
Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR)
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS).
- Recipients may accept research assistantships, part-time teaching positions, or other paid employment that does not affect their status as a full-time graduate student.
- Recipients must be in good standing with the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP). Students who have never applied for OSAP are in good standing.
- Recipients must ensure their Social Insurance Number (SIN) is recorded in WebAdvisor. The award cannot be processed without a SIN on file. The requirement for a SIN does not apply to international students.
Contacts & Resources
If you have questions about the QEII-GSST, please contact the Graduate Awards Officers by email email@example.com.