Plaque top
Historical Plaque

Ontario Veterinary College

1862

This college, known until 1869 as the Upper Canada Veterinary School, was the first in Canada to offer courses in veterinary medicine. It was established in Toronto in 1862 by the Board of Agriculture, and although partially sponsored by this government body it was operated as a private enterprise by Prof. Andrew Smith, a graduate of Edinburgh Veterinary College. Incorporated in 1896, the college was affiliated with the University of Toronto in 1897, although the latter did not confer degrees in veterinary science until 1908. In that year Prof. Smith retired, and the Ontario Government acquired his interest in the college. Placed under the Department of Agriculture, it was moved to Guelph in 1922.