Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Office, Clerical and Technical
Position covered by the Collective Agreement with USW Local 4120
Department of Economics and Finance, Gordon S. Lang School of Business and Economics
Temporary full-time from July 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2021-0268
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Reporting to the Administrative Assistant, the Academic Assistant in the Department of Economics and Finance is responsible for supporting all academic matters handled by the department. This includes: maintaining confidential student records; maintaining program applications, enrolment, and graduation statistics; dealing with all correspondence and inquiries related to the academic programs offered by the department; the duplication and distribution of course material; ensuring all academic program information on the Department’s website is current; coordinating textbook orders; and scheduling and conducting course evaluations. . In addition, the Academic Assistant will provide general office assistance and back up support as needed.
With respect to the graduate program in particular, the Academic Assistant is responsible for dealing with program inquiries and correspondence related to the graduate program; monitoring entrance applications for completeness; reviewing transcripts in comparison to minimum entrance requirements; maintaining financial records regarding graduate support funds, GTA positions, and scholarships; preparing GTA postings and contracts; submitting progress reports and final grades to graduate studies; ensuring nominations are completed for external scholarships and awards; arranging graduate seminar presentations, including thesis defenses; ensuring deadlines are communicated to students and faculty; arranging graduate related functions and new student orientation events; and preparing information packages for incoming students
Requirements of the position include:
- One (1) year Community College diploma (University degree preferred) coupled with some experience in an academic department. A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent time management skills
- Clear knowledge of the University’s administrative, financial, personnel policies and procedures as they pertain to undergraduate and graduate students would be strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with WebNow, Colleague, FRS, a data analysis program (e.g. Stata, R, Excel analysis tool pack, etc.) or other similar programs would be a strong asset.
- Excellent proficiency with MS Office software is essential.
- Knowledge of the University’s programs and services would be considered an asset.
- Proven ability to work accurately and promptly under pressure in a fast-paced environment is essential, along with excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- The successful candidate must be detail-oriented, dependable, and able to compose clear and concise correspondence.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
Covering Position Number 295-025
Classification USW, Local 4120 Salary Band 4
Normal Hiring Range $23.59 - $26.37 per hour
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 06 07
Closing Date: 2021 06 14