Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Office of the Dean, College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Hiring #: 2020-0375
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS) uniquely combines Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics to enable innovative and collaborative teaching, learning and research focused on solving the world’s big problems through teamwork and interdisciplinary scholarship. With 150 faculty, $23 million in annual research funding, and more than 3,000 undergraduates and 450 graduate students, CEPS is positioned to be a significant part of the University of Guelph’s path forward.
Under the direction of the Associate Director, Finance & Operations and as a key member of the Dean’s Office team, the Administrative Officer ensures the effective administrative operations of the College. This role is critically responsible to the Dean and leadership team in providing expert advice related to faculty and staff appointments, hiring and management practices, tenure and promotion, sabbatical leaves, and related administrative processes and practices.
The incumbent will be expected to oversee key human resources management functions in the Dean’s Office including recruitment/retention, performance development (GOAL 2.0), and related duties as delegated by the Associate Director. They are responsible for: ensuring key college administrative processes are effective and efficient in their delivery, innovating where possible to improve accuracy and timeliness; assisting in human resources planning of the College through the preparation of statistical analysis and providing interpretive reports to the Dean and leadership team; providing some direct administrative support to the Dean and key college committees as required; effectively supervising an Administrative Assistant. In the absence of Associate Director, the Administrative Officer acts on their behalf and makes decisions that are in line with the strategy and goals of the College. As such the incumbent plays an essential role in fostering a positive, cohesive, and constructive working environment across the College. They are a key liaison between the Provost’s Office, Faculty and Academic Staff Relations, Human Resources, and administrative staff across the College.
Requirements of this position include:
- An undergraduate degree in human resources, business administration or related field plus a minimum of 3 years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A certificate in human resources such as CHRP would be considered an asset.
- Experience working in human resources or administration at a University or similar type of organization would be ideal.
- Demonstrated experience advising on the interpretation and application of policies, procedures, and the ability to serve as a trusted and knowledgeable resource to leaders.
- Proven ability to manage a large volume of work with conflicting priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills and a willingness to take initiative and manage tasks/projects to completion.
- A high level of professionalism including tact, diplomacy, discretion, flexibility, and patience.
- Ability to act and work independently or in a team environment and to interact effectively with other staff, faculty, senior level administrators, and other stakeholders.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and supervisory skills.
- Experience in writing/editing formal documents/reports is an asset.
- Expected to be innovative and resourceful with effective problem-solving skills and sound judgment.
- Knowledge and comfort with data analysis and reporting including being comfortable using databases. An Intermediate to advanced level skills utilizing Microsoft Office suite is required, experience using university specific software packages would be an asset.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations
Position Number 253-033
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2020 11 17
Closing Date: 2020 12 01