Alumni Advancement Manager
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Alumni Advancement Manager
Alumni Affairs and Development
Temporary full-time from May 25, 2021 to April 30, 2023
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2021-0147
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The position of Alumni Advancement Manager (University-wide) is an opportunity to join a high-performing team of passionate professionals at the University of Guelph, one of Canada’s leading comprehensive research-intensive universities.
Alumni Affairs & Development (AA&D) is a central service at the University of Guelph and supports the University’s mission to Improve Life by building lifelong relationships with alumni, donors and champions to raise money for the institution’s strategic priorities. As a member of the AA&D team, the Alumni Advancement Manager epitomizes the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation and forward focus.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Annual Giving, the Alumni Advancement Manager works across the University and colleges to raise funds for their highest priorities which include scholarships, program development and capital funding. Focusing on the campus community (faculty, staff, retirees and senior leadership), the incumbent is responsible to implement a strategic plan designed to engage prospects and donors in the life of the University and achieve fundraising targets through the active management of a relationship base of approximately 60-80 prospects for gifts of up to $25,000.
Additionally, the Alumni Advancement Manager also implements strategic volunteer engagement plans, including work with the U of G Retirees Association; and works with key staff in AA&D to develop effective communication strategies aimed to keep the campus community informed of activities of interest. Other ongoing duties include event planning and coordination (currently, virtual events only), drafting correspondence, responding to day to day inquiries from prospective donors, and other associated duties.
Requirements for this role include:
- An undergraduate degree coupled with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in alumni relations, fundraising and/or non-profit management, or an equivalent combination thereof;
- Superior written and interpersonal communication skills, including effective relationship building and experience managing volunteers
- Experience securing gifts through a variety of methods is highly desired;
- Ability to think and act quicky and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgement
- Experience and comfort working in a role with significant autonomy
- A strong record of volunteer and program management, and the demonstrated ability to conceptualize, analyze, develop and coordinate programs;
- Proficiency with computers, CRM database software, MS Office suite;
- Demonstrated motivation working toward targets/goals and ability to take initiative, think creatively and with an entrepreneurial mindset;
- Experience working in a university environment is considered an asset.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
(Covering) Position Number 392-030
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 03 31
Closing Date: 2021 04 14