Alumni Advancement Manager, CBS
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Alumni Advancement Manager, CBS
Alumni Affairs & Development
Temporary full-time from October 1, 2019 to July 1, 2021
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2019-0450
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
This position of Alumni Advancement Manager (CBS) is an opportunity to join a high-performing team of passionate fundraising professionals at the University of Guelph, one of Canada’s leading comprehensive research-intensive universities.
The department of Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D) advances the mission of the University of Guelph by raising private support and building relationships with a broad range of stakeholders ranging from alumni and friends, to corporations and foundations. As a member of the AA&D team, the Alumni Advancement Manager epitomizes the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation and forward focus.
We are seeking an experienced alumni relations and fundraising professional to work with alumni, donors and volunteers in the College of Biological Science (CBS). CBS is a globally-recognized academic faculty with a mission to improve life through science. From DNA to cells to complex ecosystems, it produces intrepid and interdisciplinary research in a student-centered learning environment that encourages and promotes comprehensive understanding of systems that govern life.
Reporting to the Associate Director, Alumni Advancement, and in consultation with the Dean and faculty, the Alumni Advancement Manager (AAM) is responsible for engaging alumni in the life of the college through annual giving fundraising (contributions of up to $25,000) and strategic relationship management through events and programs. More specifically, the responsibilities of the AAM include:
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors and prospects through the fundraising cycle.
- Managing a pipeline of 80-100 donors/prospects and undertaking 5-7 calls/month.
- Managing strategic class/group reunion activity and class/group fundraising activity.
- Collaborating on all college-related annual giving initiatives, including mass appeals and stewardship communications.
- Providing a strategic lens for on and off-campus alumni engagement opportunities, including events
- Coordinating alumni volunteers for various University activities
- Collaborating with colleagues in AA&D to develop effective communications strategies that keep alumni and annual giving donors informed of relevant and strategic activities
- Supporting relevant day to day alumni correspondence and outreach, and other associated duties as assigned.
- Some evening and weekend work is required, as well as possible travel in support of certain activities.
Requirements for this role include:
- Undergraduate degree, with preference given to demonstrated commitment to professional development, relevant diploma or equivalent combination of education/experience
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in alumni relations, fundraising and/or non-profit program management with a proven track record of success
- Superior written and interpersonal communications skills, including effective relationship building and experience in managing volunteers
- Ability to think and act quickly and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment.
- Results-oriented with the ability to take initiative and self-manage
- Experience and comfort working in a role with significant autonomy.
- Ability to adapt and an employ an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Experience in event management is required.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite and donor databases and/or CRM systems
Covering Position Number 392-052
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2019 08 07
Closing Date: 2019 08 21