Analyst III – IT Business Analyst-Project Manager
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Analyst III – IT Business Analyst-Project Manager
Computing and Communications Services (CCS)
Hiring #: 2022-0033
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Computing and Communications Services (CCS) is the central IT department at the University of Guelph, providing core IT services and technology solutions to the U of G community. CCS has a progressive organizational culture, including a strong learning and development focus, and is committed to its Core Values: Service Culture, Integrity, Individual Leadership, Teamwork, Agility, and Communication.
The Analyst 3 - IT Business Analyst-Project Manager position will be engaged in various IT initiatives at the University. In any given initiative, this role may be focused on business analysis, project management or both.
In the capacity of a Business Analyst, this role works with clients in various roles and departments across the institution, with a variety of business applications and processes, and understands how information technology can be used to enhance these applications and processes. They use the CCS Business Analysis framework, which utilizes best industry practices, to thoroughly review, assess and document business requirements. They elicit requirements through interviews, document requirements, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, task and workflow analysis and lead workshops. They analyze and critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconciling conflicts and deconstructing high-level information into detailed requirements. They distinguish user-influenced requests from the true underlying business needs. They analyze tradeoffs between usability, technology, security, compliance, performance and other factors that need to be considered when recommending solutions. This role serves as a conduit between the clients, various CCS teams and vendors to manage change of business applications and associated infrastructure.
In the capacity of a Project Manager, this role leads projects in the implementation of solutions. This role works with clients, technical subject matter experts, vendors and other project team members to initiate, plan, execute and control all project related items. This includes ensuring deliverables and timelines are met, changes are properly documented and approved, issues addressed. The candidate will use the CCS Project Management Framework, which utilizes best industry practices, to lead projects in the implementation of solutions. This role works with clients, technical subject matter experts, vendors and other project team members to initiate, plan, execute and control all project related items. This includes ensuring deliverables and timelines are met, changes are properly documented and approved, issues addressed. U of G may use waterfall, agile or blended methodologies.
The candidate will be part of the University of Guelph Institutional Program Management Office (PMO) and will participate in PMO activities as required (project intake, program status dashboards, educating the university in project best practices).
The following skills, experiences and requirements will set a candidate apart:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Information Technology or a related discipline and several years of related work experience or a combination of education and experience
- Previous experience in providing significant contribution (BA and PM) of large enterprises
- Previous experience in a higher education institution with demonstrated leadership and highly developed skills of collaboration, communication and time management
- Has worked on formal Business Analysis and Project Management activities and understands the applicable industry frameworks. Candidate should have professional certification from a recognized provider in Business Analyst and/or Project Management, such as IIBA, PMI, Prince2, etc. This may include, but not be limited to:
- CCBA (Certification of Competency in Business Analysis)
- CBAP (Certified Business Analysis Professional)
- PMP (Project Management Professional)
- PMI-PBA (Professional in Business Analysis)
- Prosci Change Management Practitioner
- Has considerable experience in leading business analysis activities including process optimization and RFP creation
- Has considerable experience leading both waterfall and agile project management processes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) with ability to work collaboratively with both business clients, technical team members and vendors.
Position Number 687-003
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2022 01 12
Closing Date: 2022 01 31