Analyst III – Systems Management
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Analyst III – Systems Management
Computing and Communications Services (CCS)
Hiring #: 2021-0670
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Computing and Communications Services (CCS) is the central IT department at the University of Guelph, providing core IT services and technology solutions to the U of G community. CCS has a progressive organizational culture, including a strong learning and development focus, and is committed to its Core Values: Service Culture, Integrity, Individual Leadership, Teamwork, Agility, and Communication.
Reporting to the Manager, Systems Management, the Analyst III will be an integral part of a team of professionals responsible for defining, developing, managing, and enhancing the server infrastructure provided to the University of Guelph. The successful candidate will be required to:
- Assist clients in defining requirements and help develop and document system architectures
- Manage servers throughout their lifecycles, from provisioning to decommissioning
- System Administration of physical and virtual servers running primarily Windows Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating systems
- Incident and problem management
- Create, maintain and monitor service metrics for capacity planning and performance tuning
- Automate repetitive tasks through the use of tools such as Ansible
- Utilization of specialized software tools to operate and monitor related services
- Enhancing client service through the evaluation, piloting, and implementation of new service components
- Defining and running projects utilizing a project management framework
- Issue and problem management and root cause analysis
- Participation in maintenance outside of regular business hours
The Analyst III, Systems Management is also responsible for problem analysis, proactive server monitoring, and the analysis and resolution of issues related to failure and/or performance through collaboration with other immediate team members, other CCS teams, and vendor customer support.
Requirements of the position include:
- Bachelor’ degree in Computer Science/Information Technology and minimum of three (3) years related work experience in system administration or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Expert level experience with design, implementation, and operations of the VMWare hypervisor; implementation of enterprise storage, backup and recovery services, and a deep understanding of data centre network design and security.
- Extensive experience with the installation and operations of Windows Server, and RedHat Enterprise Linux
- Good understanding of Cloud Platform services such as AWS and/or Microsoft Azure
- Good understanding and experience with server hardware and other IT components like Dell and Cisco UCS, RAID, DRAC/iLO, SAN/NAS, networking, firewalling, and load balancing technologies
- Experience with a variety of system administration tools such as RedHat Satellite, Landesk, vCommander, McAfee Move, Xangati, Nagios, MRTG, IPAM, Git
- A strong foundation of experience in implementing operating system level security and use of CIS benchmarks
- Demonstrated ability to compile open source utilities, and working knowledge of standard server applications such as MySQL, Apache, and PHP would be an asset
- Must have shell scripting skills for system administration and monitoring such as Bash and Python
- Strong aptitude to successfully participate on projects (small, medium, large) including developing project goals, objectives, and deliverables, determining resource requirements, reviewing progress, and providing status updates to management
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) with ability to work effectively with both business clients and technical team members
- Analytical ability and thorough understanding of large-scale information technology systems and applications
- Working knowledge and experience with the following is preferred: VMware vSphere, Nagios or other similar monitoring tools; storage and backup tools including Comm Vault and Rubrik backups; configuration management tools such as Ansible
- Industry certifications such as MCSE, CCNA, ITIL, ITSM would be helpful.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
Position Number 686-004
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2022 01 12
Closing Date: 2022 02 09 (extended)