Analyst III, Data Conversion Specialist
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Analyst III, Data Conversion Specialist, Human Resources Management Solutions (HRMS)
Enterprise Applications, Computing and Communications Services (CCS)
Temporary full-time from October 1, 2020 to March 31, 2022
Hiring #: 2020-0265
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Computing and Communications Services (CCS) is the central IT department at the University of Guelph, providing core IT services and technology solutions to the U of G community. CCS has a progressive organizational culture, including a strong learning and development focus, and is committed to its Core Values: Service Culture, Integrity, Individual Leadership, Teamwork, Agility, and Communication.
Reporting to the Director, Enterprise Applications, the Analyst III, Data Conversion Specialist, Human Resources Systems will play a critical role as a member of our Enterprise Applications team as we support the University’s migration to a new cloud-based Human Resources Management System (HRMS).
The successful candidate will be tasked with interpreting business rules and data as well as designing and executing the data conversion from our current on-premise HRMS to the new cloud-based HRMS solution. The candidate will be responsible for the design, development and testing of all data transformation, extraction and migration activities for the HRMS. This will involve building ETL solutions to extract and transform current HR system data to be loaded to the new system. Working closely with our HRMS Project Team, including our implementation partner, there will be significant communication and interaction with both the technical and functional teams to ensure timely and accurate data is successfully loaded to the new HRMS without error. Strong communication skills are required to engage with business users to understand source data, guide users through the data conversion rules applied, and ensure recommendations to resolve data issues are clearly identified and articulated. This position will involve using various tools to perform data conversions, track results of data loads to the new HRMS, create and execute test scripts as well as develop and maintain conversion documentation including data dictionaries and data mapping documents. Work will also include the reconciliation of data discrepancies between source and target systems to ensure accuracy of converted data.
Requirements of the position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Information Technology coupled with at least three years of related work experience with data manipulation and data transformations, preferably with enterprise-level systems and supporting technologies in the HR and Payroll areas in higher education, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) with the ability to work effectively with both business clients and technical team members. A solid ability to consider privacy and security in working with all member.
- Experience working with relational databases (such as Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server), Excel and ETL Tools (such as Microsoft SSIS) as well as writing complex scripts and queries in SQL (Structured Query Language)
Any experience with the following will be considered an asset and should be highlighted in your application:
- Experience with data conversion on projects, including activities such as documenting business rules for data conversions, verification/validation/reconciliation of data, creation and maintenance of data mapping processes, data extraction from source system and loading to target system, and working with large datasets
- Experience with planning, designing and executing test cases as it relates to data verification/validation as well as data reconciliation between source and target systems
- Experience working with enterprise applications, system integrations, HR systems and processes or other related enterprise systems
- Experience working with Oracle databases, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Azure DevOps, Microsoft Visual Studio/Code and enterprise-level HRMS solutions.
- Experience creating training materials for users of a software solution
- Change management experience in an enterprise application environment and maintaining related documentation
- Experience with cloud based HRMS solutions especially upgrades and/or migrations from another HRMS solution (on-premise or cloud-based)
- Experience providing support for organizational change and communications
- Experience with Project Management methodologies
- Experience with Agile development methodology and/or Microsoft Azure DevOps
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2020 09 03
Closing Date: 2020 09 18