Analyst III, Systems Management
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Analyst III, Systems Management
Computing and Communications Services (CCS)
Hiring #: 2023-0137
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Computing and Communications Services (CCS) is the central IT department at the University of Guelph, providing core IT services and technology solutions to the U of G community. CCS has a progressive organizational culture, including a strong learning and development focus, and is committed to its Core Values: Service Culture, Integrity, Individual Leadership, Teamwork, Agility, and Communication.
Reporting to the Manager, Systems Management, the Analyst III will be an integral part of a team of professionals responsible for defining, developing, managing, and enhancing the server infrastructure provided to the University of Guelph. The successful candidate will possess a generalist’s knowledge of IT including system administration, virtualization, storage, database management, IT security, and architecture.
The successful candidate will be tasked with:
- Installation, operation, maintenance, and monitoring of physical and virtual servers
- Utilization of specialized software tools to operate and monitor related services.
- Automating common tasks using scripting or configuration management tools
- Issue and problem management and root cause analysis
- Project management and client service enhancement
- Participation in maintenance outside of regular hours
- Communication and collaboration with clients, team members, other teams, and vendor support.
Requirements of the position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Technology with a minimum of three (3) years of related work experience performing server administration duties. A relevant combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Extensive experience with the installation and maintenance of Windows and Linux servers
- Demonstrated ability to install and manage complex software systems and integrations.
- Shell scripting skills for system administration and monitoring such as, Bash, Perl, or PowerShell
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) with ability to work effectively with both business clients and technical team members.
- Analytical ability and thorough understanding of large-scale information technology systems and applications
- Experience with IT service frameworks (e.g., ITIL) with an emphasis on change management processes
Having the following skills, knowledge, and experience with the following technologies would be an asset, but is not a requirement:
- Knowledge of networking, firewalling, and load balancing technologies and software
- Industry certifications such as RHCSA, RHCE, MCSE, CCNA, ITIL, or Oracle certifications
- Experience following current project management methodologies such as Agile, waterfall, or Kanban.
- Experience with and knowledge of these specific software or technologies:
- Infrastructure software such as VMWare ESXi and vSphere, Cisco ACI, Rubrik Backup and Recovery
- System administration software such as Ansible, RedHat Satellite, Snow Commander, SentinelOne, Nagios, MRTG, Infoblox, F5 BIG-IP, Subversion, Nessus, Password Manager Pro, Git
- Enterprise storage systems such as SANs or NASes
- Database server software such as Oracle Database and RAC, Microsoft SQL Server
- Back-end ERP software such as SAP SuccessFactors, SAP Concur, UKG Dimensions
- Cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure, AWS, GCP
- Linux server applications such as MySQL, Apache, Nginx, Perl, PHP
- Server hardware components such as blade chassis, DRAC/iLO, RAID cards, and PDUs.
If you have any of these qualifications, we encourage you to include that information in your application, but we encourage all applicants to apply regardless.
Position Number 686-002
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2023 03 01
Closing Date: 2023 04 05 (extended)