Analyst III, Web Access Management
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Analyst III, Web Access Management
Computing and Communications Services (CCS)
Hiring #: 2021-0237
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Computing and Communications Services (CCS) is the central IT department at the University of Guelph, providing core IT services and technology solutions to the University community. CCS has a progressive organizational culture, including a strong learning and development focus, and is committed to its Core Values: Service Culture, Integrity, Individual Leadership, Teamwork, Agility, and Communication.
One of the important functions of the CCS Information Security team is providing access management services for web-based applications used by the entire University of Guelph community. Web access management is a critical component of our infrastructure and provides authentication and authorization services to many of the critical applications used on campus, including the University website, email, learning management, and several enterprise applications.
Reporting to the Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), the successful candidate will support and advance web access management services at the University of Guelph. These services provide authentication for over 25,000 unique users daily, protect hundreds of on-premise websites, and facilitate federated single sign-on with almost 80 cloud and on-premise service providers and dozens of other service providers via the Canadian Access Federation.
Responsibilities of this role include maintaining service levels, integrating new services, and evolving the access management infrastructure are core components of this role. The role also includes providing technical support and guidance to a wide range of campus community representatives including CCS, faculty, staff, students, and distributed IT staff on campus.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Working collaboratively with other CCS teams, other organizational units on campus, and 3rd party/cloud service providers to integrate their services into the University’s web access management platform.
- Providing technical support for web access management services and providing excellent customer service to our clients across campus
- Investigating, troubleshooting, tracking, and resolving access management related issues
- Following proper change management processes to keep servers (predominantly RedHat Linux servers) and applications updated and secure.
- Developing tools, writing scripts, and automating processes to assist with routine tasks, most commonly in Java, Bash, and PowerShell.
- Participating in a variety of projects related to our access management tools, technology, and processes.
- Providing input on technical direction and new technology adoption within CCS and the Identity and Access Management team
- Enhancing, streamlining, and improving technology and processes in order for the team to be more effective and efficient
Requirements of the position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Information technology and a minimum of five years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Systems administration experience on Linux and Windows operating systems
- Hands-on technical experience supporting web servers and Java application servers, preferably WebLogic, Tomcat, and Apache, including configuration, troubleshooting, and on-going performance monitoring
- Scripting skills in Bash and PowerShell
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, technical writing, and communication skills with ability to work effectively with non-technical business clients, technical team members, and third-party support
- Understanding of IT security best practices
- Ability to balance the competing demands of multiple projects and operational requirements
- Ability to work individually and as an integral member of a high-performance team
The following skills and experiences will set a candidate apart:
- Hands-on technical experience with web access management and identity federation solutions, such as Oracle Access Manager and Shibboleth
- Experience with Azure AD / Identity and Access Management in Office365
- Experience in web application design, ability to integrate with a wide range of web application platforms, and understanding of the HTTP protocol
- Application development experience in Java or a related platform
- Previous experience supporting directory services, such as LDAP and Active Directory
- Familiarity with protocols such as SAML and REST
- Administration of Oracle databases or other relational databases
- Relevant technical certifications
- Previous experience in a higher education institution
- Highly developed skills of collaboration, communication and time management
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
Position Number 681-TBD
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 06 21
Closing Date: 2021 11 08 (extended)