Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre
(Less than 24 hours a week)
Please apply by emailing email@example.com and sending your:
- Cover Letter
Reporting to the Supervisor, Patient Care and Service Delivery the incumbent provides husbandry care of patient and teaching animals at the OVC HSC and supports the Clinicians, Registered Veterinary Technicians (RVTs) and students of the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Program. The incumbent will be cross trained in other areas of the Health Sciences Centre as they may need to support other units in times of operational need. Animal Housing positions at OVC HSC include Animal Care Attendants (Companion Animal Wards) and Agricultural Assistants (Large Animal Clinic).
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Assist with restraining, handling and transporting companion/large animal patients, research and teaching animals
- Clean and sanitize cages, runs, stalls and ancillary equipment according to established procedures
- Stock areas with appropriate supplies and maintain equipment logs
- Ensure animal welfare by providing animal care and husbandry including, cleaning, grooming, feeding and exercising patients following safety protocols
- Monitor changes in animal behaviour/health and report concerns to RVT or Veterinarian
- Provide administrative support i.e. billing and organizing medical records and assist with the admission and discharge of client animals
- Maintain confidentiality and adhere to safety regulations at all times
Interested candidates must meet the following requirements:
- 2-year College Diploma in a related program plus 1 year of related experience in a Small/Large Animal Clinic setting
- Animal Care Certificate or additional courses such as Equine Management or Large Animal Husbandry will be given preference
- Demonstrated proficiency in customer service as well as effective organizational and communication skills
- Basic knowledge of computers and electronic monitoring equipment would be a benefit
- Flexibility in scheduling availability is required. The incumbent will be required to work a variety of shifts including evenings and weekends
- Agricultural Assistants – A valid Class G Driver’s license is required.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of rabies titre.
Hourly rate $23.83 - $26.63 per hour
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.