Assistant Manager, Project Planning & Administration
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Assistant Manager, Project Planning & Administration
Ontario Veterinary College Health Sciences Centre (OVC HSC)
Temporary full-time from December 1, 2020 to March 30, 2022
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2020-0400
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Reporting to the Associate Dean Clinical Program (ADCP), the Assistant Manager (AM) will provide project planning and administrative support to the ADCP and the Health Sciences Centre (HSC) leadership team.
The incumbent is privy to highly confidential information and will play a key role in ensuring the ADCP and OVC HSC has the support necessary to meet the expectations in the Ontario Veterinary College.
Working in collaboration with the AD, the AM will identify new opportunities to assist in meeting the strategic goals of the OVC HSC by developing necessary action plans and then tracking and reporting progress against plans. The AM will serve as project and process manager for a variety of initiatives relating to the OVC HSC.
This includes project management, i.e. opening of service areas, assisting with human resources planning, facilities management, monitoring the development of information technology solutions, creating and proposing Standard Operating Procedures and other associated responsibilities.
The AM will direct the HSC Administrative Assistant on supporting the administrative needs of the HSC leadership team. The incumbent will oversee a variety of activities including coordinating appointments with senior members of the University administration, screening inquiries from internal and external stakeholders, preparation of highly confidential materials and recruitment of HSC House Officers.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Facilities support including management of the OVC electronic access systems, providing access to rooms (electronic or keyed), coordination of room/office moves.
- Managing purchase requests and inventory of computers/devices and liaisons with IT to ensure the HSC computers are functioning optimally and new computers are set up and installed.
- Leading and/or attending key administrative meetings assigning and tracking actions.
- Collaboratively working with the Administrative Team to make process improvements.
- Supporting all aspects of the HSC administrative team schedule, organizing material, providing liaison with the College departments, senior University administration, government officials, and members of the Profession including professional associations, visitors, donors and alumni.
- Administering the hospital document management system (OmniAssistant) including user management and ensuring the operations team keeps documents current.
- Administering the staff continuing education fund including but not limited to: acceptance of applications, arranging meetings, making travel arrangements, verifying attendance, etc.
- Representing the OVC HSC at events such as Service Area Openings, the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association Conference, and Continuing Education Events for Referring Veterinarians, meetings with high profile donors etc.
- Attending College and Industry events including those held during evenings and weekends for example: uses highly specialized knowledge of OVC HSC operations to effectively market services to referring veterinarians and clients;
- Coordinating the General Practitioner Rounds program to build relationships with referring DVM’s to increase caseload through increased referrals and to increase OVC HSC’s profile as a leading edge educational partner in veterinary medicine.
- Managing the intern and resident recruitment process for the HSC (edit advertisements, answer questions, work permits, onboarding)
Requirements of the position include:
- An undergraduate degree in Business or Human Resources plus five years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in a multi-faceted service industry environment in a senior administrative role preferred.
- Candidates should demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- Demonstrated commitment to the values of service excellence, professionalism and respect are essential
- Ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- Exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
This appointment is regularly performed on-campus but will be initially fulfilled both remotely (off-campus) and on-campus until the University resumes its regular operations
(Covering) Position Number 620-005
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2020 11 18
Closing Date: 2020 12 02