Business Incubator Services Manager
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Business Incubator Services Manager
John F. Wood Centre for Business and Student Enterprise
Temporary full-time from July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2024
Hiring #: 2022-0416
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Business Incubator Services Manager will work as part of the John F. Wood Centre for Business and Student Enterprise (Wood Centre) team in the Lang School of Business and Economics to deliver entrepreneurial programs and services to Hub participants and social enterprise training to participants in the Sandbox Program including graduate level students and community partners. This position in consultation with the Wood Centre Program Manager will have broad oversight and strategic development through the following responsibilities and goals:
- Design, improve, and deliver high impact entrepreneurial and social enterprise programming.
- Attract and retain key stakeholders to support the bold development of the Wood Centre’s programming.
- Work collaboratively within the campus entrepreneurial ecosystem – looking for opportunities to partner on initiatives and offering a continuum of care between departments
- Ensuring compliance with program reporting (metrics, financial, etc.) and management approaches as appropriate.
- Identifying funding and partnership opportunities for the programs and Centre.
- Oversee the operations of the Hub Incubator Program, including:
- Oversight of programming: development of curriculum including engaging with guest speakers and third-party supports for companies;
- Recruiting potential start-up companies that are both eligible and suitable for the program;
- Completing initial analysis of each potential start-ups’ position and barriers to growth;
- Designing and agreeing a package of support provided to the start-up, including potential co-investment between the start-up and mentors/funders;
- Ensuring the portfolio of services provided to start-ups delivers the maximum impact in assisting the business to reach its full potential within the constraints of the program;
- Foster a start-up community within the program and continue to deliver value to our alumni and mentor community.
- Oversee the operations of the Sandbox programming in conjunction with the Program Manager and campus partners including:
- Work with campus partners to further develop the Sandbox Social Enterprise program where we match graduate level students with community partners looking to launch a social enterprise;
- Recruit and onboard community partners to the program;
- Recruit, coach and facilitate weekly sessions for graduate students;
- Keep up to date on social enterprise theory and experiential learning opportunities to ensure the Wood Centre programming is a value add to community partners and to students
Requirements of the position include:
- A Master’s degree in business or a related field, and several years’ experience, along with a passion for social enterprise development. An equivalent combination of education and relevant experience may be considered.
- The ideal candidate will be a business expert with an excellent understanding of high growth businesses, how they work and the challenges and barriers to their growth along with a passion for using business as a force for good.
- Sophisticated networking, business development, influencing and selling skills appropriate to these types of programs is essential
- The ability to, and understanding of, how to match startups and mentors/coaches considering both skills, experience and personality dimensions is critical.
- The candidate must have a strongly developed mentorship methodology and be an experienced facilitator.
- Experience with the Lean Startup methodology, social enterprise theory, and have excellent project management, organizational, interpersonal and communication abilities, as well as robust analytical skills.
- The ability to exercise sound judgment, tact and diplomacy, set priorities and manage budgets is also required.
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2022 06 16
Closing Date: 2022 06 30