Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Hiring #: 2019-0635
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
At the University of Guelph, our students benefit greatly from engaging directly in industries and communities where they can apply their learning in real-world contexts, develop essential employability skills, and gain a deeper understanding of the complex issues faced by employers and community organizations today.
The Experiential Learning Hub collaborates with industry and community partners in identifying experiential learning opportunities that serve as vehicles for the application of formal learning in real-world contexts, while addressing their priorities. The Co-operative Education program formally integrates a student’s academic studies with periods of work experience. Over 3,500 co-op students participate in 42 co-op majors at the University of Guelph. Co-op Coordinators assume complete marketing responsibility and student advisement for co-op program(s) as assigned and actively recruit and engage employers to hire 300 - 1300 co-op students each fall, winter and summer semester. These activities raise the profile of the University of Guelph and guide student success in the Co-operative Education program.
Reporting to the Manager, Co-op & Employer Partnerships, the Co-op Coordinator is responsible for:
- Developing new and maintaining existing employer relationships to support and expand engagement with co-operative education and the University of Guelph
- Providing advisement and guidance to co-op students in assigned programs on job search strategies, employability skills (professional and transferable) and career development while the student is seeking employment and while on a work term
- Maintaining in-depth labour market insight, analyzing shifts in technology and economics
- Marketing and promoting co-op and the University of Guelph throughout all sectors of the economy, trade associations, tradeshows
- Conducting co-op work term site visits to monitor student learning and work performance; and ensuring that sufficient job quantity, diversity and experience levels are available for co-op students
Requirements of the position include:
- An undergraduate degree and several years’ relevant experience in employer development, relationship management or business development
- As this portfolio is responsible for the Engineering Co-op programs, the incumbent must demonstrate strong knowledge of relevant job markets for engineering co-op students, and the ability to work well with a diverse group of clients/stakeholders (i.e. employers, students, faculty)
- Applicants should demonstrate excellent marketing and account management skills, sales, and public relations skills
- Knowledge of co-operative education, career counselling, human resource practices, labour market analysis, employment law is an asset
- Knowledge of the University academic programs and procedures is an asset
Position Number 114-020
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2019 11 25
Closing Date: 2019 12 16