Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Temporary full-time until June 2023
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2022-0278
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Join the compensation team and contribute to meeting an increasing demand for in-depth quantitative and qualitative analysis of the University’s compensation programs. As an experienced Human Resources Practitioner, you offer a concentrated focus in total compensation and specifically job evaluation and you are ready and hungry to hone your expertise. This role offers you exposure to such a range of skill sets in a unionized public sector environment, you can’t find many places that will develop you the way this job will. It’s a contract role but be assured, you will finish this contract more marketable for this in-demand field of work than when you started! On top of that, you’d be joining a team who are really good at what they do and who work closely to find even better ways to serve the people who support some pretty fascinating and relevant work on campus, all while enjoying a flexible work schedule.
Reporting to the Manager, Compensation, you would be tasked to provide advanced-level support for salary administration, metrics and data analysis, and job evaluation as well as provide functional guidance and mentorship to other compensation team members in their daily work. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the job evaluation and compensation programs, position classification process and other compensation related projects to support organizational needs and objectives.
- Facilitating the University’s joint job evaluation committees.
- Providing in-depth analysis and recommendations relative to complex compensation matters.
- Collaborate with other members of the HR team, with departmental organizational restructuring, providing subject matter expertise related to job evaluation, job design, and resulting compensation changes.
- Supporting the establishment of new compensation and position management processes and data reporting capabilities coming from the upcoming HRMS system implementation.
- Conducting in-depth quantitative and qualitative analyses of the University’s compensation programs to ensure internal equity, external competitiveness and legislative compliance.
- Providing analytical and advisory support to the Staff Relations Team on total compensation best practices, program design options and costing for the purposes of collective bargaining.
- Providing support to the University on people data and metrics.
You ideally meet the following requirements:
- University degree combined with demonstrated experience in job evaluation and compensation programs, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A foundational understanding of compensation principles, job evaluation tools and methodologies, human resources policies/procedures, the Pay Equity Act, Employment Equity Act, Federal Contractors Program requirement and other related legislation
- Good mathematical, statistical, analytical and research skills with a high level of proficiency using software such as Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, PowerPoint), HRIS and other database systems
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply legislation, collective agreements and employment contracts and other technical documents
- A strategic and critical thinker, with ability to exercise sound judgement, analyze and interpret data and present information in a clear, concise and professional manner
- A self-starter with effective organizational skills and follow-through, including the ability to manage multiple priorities with accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to handle matters requiring a high level of diplomacy, sensitivity and confidentiality.
- While not required, a professional designation in compensation (CEBS, CCP or equivalent) or a CHRL designation may be considered an asset.
Interested but want more information before applying? Please reach out to Debbie Paddock at firstname.lastname@example.org to explore!
(Covering) Position Number 060-075
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2022 06 08
Closing Date: 2022 06 29 Extended