Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Hiring #: 2021-0357
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
It’s an exciting time to join Human Resources as we prepare to transition to a new Human Resources Management System that will enhance our ability to meet the increasing demands for in-depth quantitative and qualitative analysis of the University’s compensation programs. As the ideal candidate, you have a foundational knowledge of compensation and job evaluation activities/operations, and you are keen to further develop your expertise in this area and apply it in a complex environment, across multiple employee groups/unions and a broad spectrum of occupations. Client groups value your ability to understand their business and effectively support their organizational requirements. Reporting to the Manager, Compensation, and working in a collaborative team environment, the Specialist supports salary administration, metrics and data analysis, as well as job evaluation functions.
Specifically, the Compensation Specialist is responsible to:
- Support job evaluation and compensation programs, position classification process and other compensation related projects to support organizational needs and objectives
- Support HR colleagues and managers by providing salary recommendations aligned with the University’s compensation principles, policies, collective agreements and employment contracts
- Administer aspects of the University’s position classification process through the job evaluation programs and assignment of National Occupation Codes
- Assist with compensation surveys and information requests from internal and external contacts
- Provide analytical and advisory support to the Staff Relations Team on total compensation best practices
- Research and compile information on competitive trends in compensation and collaborate with Compensation Consultant to explore alternatives and make recommendations to enhance UofG practices.
To fulfill the role of Compensation Specialist, candidates ideally meet the following requirements:
- University degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field, combined with a minimum of 4 years’ experience with a concentration in job evaluation and compensation programs, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- A professional designation in compensation (CEBS, CCP or equivalent) is preferred; CHRL designation is considered an asset
- A general understanding of compensation principles, job evaluation tools and methodologies, human resources policies/procedures, the Pay Equity Act, Employment Equity Act, Federal Contractors Program requirement and other related legislation
- Strengths in mathematical, statistical, analytical and research skills with a high level of proficiency using software such as Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, PowerPoint), HRIS and other database systems
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply legislation, collective agreements and employment contracts and other technical documents
- Strong organizational skills and follow-through, including the ability to manage multiple priorities with accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills, with the ability to handle matters requiring a high level of diplomacy, sensitivity and confidentiality
Position Number 060-075
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 09 09
Closing Date: until filled