Coordinator, International Students Program
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Coordinator, International Students Program
Hiring #: 2021-0518
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The department of Student Experience is committed to supporting all students at the University of Guelph. Student Experience houses many specialized supports for students identifying as First Nations, Métis, Inuit, Black, racialized, people of colour, members of the LGBTQ2IA+ community, and members of various cultural, international, religious, and spiritual communities. We encourage applications from members of these communities in order to accurately represent our student population and to contribute to the diversity of thought, approach, and practice in supporting students within the department.
The International Student Experience unit within Student Experience, requires a Coordinator, International Student Programs to design, deliver and evaluates programs and services that create a supportive environment for undergraduate and graduate international students.
The Coordinator will support the transition of international students from country/community of origin to life in Guelph, foster student engagement, and promote intercultural competency development. The incumbent will develop pre-arrival resources, transition programming, general programming, and workshops to advance social and cultural programs and services for international students.
The Coordinator will develop and maintain relationships with multiple stakeholders, including students and student groups, Student Experience team members and University of Guelph departments. They will provide advisement and coaching to student organizations working with international students. While representing the department at a range of institutional events, meetings, and programs, the incumbent contributes to the strategic direction and day-to-day operations of a variety of areas within International Student Experience.
This position will report to the International Student Advisor and supervise and provide direction for approximately 4 part-time student staff and 5 Peer Helpers.
The Coordinator participates in the development and implementation of actions plans and associated budgets for the unit, including annual budgeting and forecasting processes.
In order to be successful in this role, the incumbent is required to have:
- A Master’s degree in international development, social work, higher education, or another related field, coupled with progressive experience working in an international student engagement function. A combination of relevant education and experience may be considered.
- A strong skill set in the development, implementation, and assessment of diverse programming and services, including intercultural and educational programs.
- Substantial knowledge of diverse cultures, worldviews, and international student identity development, informed by both lived experience and practical experience working with international, racialized, ethnically diverse, and culturally diverse communities.
- A strong skill set in effective communication in cross-cultural and intercultural settings.
- An ability to collaborate amongst diverse groups and in intercultural settings.
- Strong understanding and practical experience applying anti-oppression and anti-racist principles in programs and services.
- A strong aptitude in written, verbal, and non-verbal communication.
- Intermediate level Microsoft 365, including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
- A second language is not required, but would be considered an asset.
This appointment is regularly performed on-campus but will be initially fulfilled both remotely (off-campus) and on-campus until the University resumes its regular operations.
Position Number 053-020
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 10 06
Closing Date: 2021 10 27 (extended)