Data and Reporting Specialist
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Data and Reporting Specialist
Office of Institutional Research and Planning
Hiring #: 2021-0126
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Office of Institutional Research & Planning serve as advisers and consultants to the University of Guelph in academic activities and decision-making processes. Through quantitative analysis, collection and dissemination of data, we provide both academic and administrative departments in all aspects of planning, research, enrolment, and budget.
Reporting to the Manager, Government Reporting and Data Products, the Data and Reporting Specialist provides on-going support for University-wide projects. This position is an integral part of a team, which supports the planning, policy formulation, and decision-making activities at University of Guelph. This position is responsible for identifying, evaluating, and compiling large amounts of complex information; analyzing requests for information and providing reliable quality information in a timely fashion. Duties include managing data, preparing reports, and conducting various analyses relating to all functional aspects of the University, including resources, enrolment, admissions/applications, courses, programs, program costs, tuition and fees, compensation, etc. In addition, this position is responsible for ensuring compliant reporting to both the federal and provincial governments. A comprehensive understanding of all university data systems/sources and how they relate to the projects at hand is required. Many of the work assignments and issues addressed are confidential and may only be disclosed at the executive level. A high level of discretion and confidentiality is required.
Requirements of this position include:
- Master’s degree in math, statistics or a related field with emphasis on data analysis along with a minimum of three years related experience, or an equivalent combination of related education and experience;
- High level of organizational skills along with the ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks in order to provide timely and accurate information in a client-focused environment;
- Experience preparing accurate reports for internal sources to help faculties, departments, and committees in decision-making;
- Knowledge of in-depth programming and querying (e.g. used in the accessing of University databases in both a host and personal computing environment.);
- Ability to work with complex sets of data and analyses and various data systems;
- Excellent quantitative, analytical and problem solving skills, and an aptitude for research and analysis;
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills along with sound professional judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to co-ordinate the information elements of a project, including engaging other units, gathering of information sources and a communication plan
- Ability to program in various software languages, including SAS, HTML and SQL
- Ability to program and work in SAS, R, and SQL to write macros, perform queries, data analyses (e.g. means testing descriptive analyses) and basic data manipulation
- Must possess a high degree of commitment to the job, be highly motivated, and well organized to deal with a high volume of work
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations.
Position Number 061-024
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 04 07
Closing Date: 2021 04 21