Director, Alumni and Annual Giving
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Director, Alumni and Annual Giving
Alumni Affairs and Development
Hiring #: 2019-0449
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
If you are a leader who 1) inspires those you work with and who work for you, 2) has a successful fundraising/engagement track record, and, 3) develops strategies to engage constituents, strengthen connections and increase annual giving results, then you do not want to miss the opportunity to apply for this exciting new position in Alumni Affairs & Development (AA&D)!
AA&D builds lifelong relationships and partnerships that generate financial resources to support the University’s mission to improve life. This new position was created as a part of a re-imagined team that is charged with ambitious goals to raise unprecedented annual philanthropic support and to be one of Canada’s most sought-after advancement organizations.
As a senior leader of Alumni Affairs and Development, you exemplify the department’s values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation and forward focus. You are a talented strategist motivated by measurable outcomes, inspiring others to do their best work, and you lead with humility and a collaborative approach to achieving shared goals.
Reporting to the Associate Vice-President, Advancement (AVP), you are the senior advisor to the AVP on all aspects of alumni engagement, programming, affinity partnerships, annual giving and the University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA).
You manage relationships with the President and other senior university executives, senior fundraising and alumni volunteers, business/community/political leaders, entrepreneurs and alumni serving in high-level positions with a goal of engaging them in outreach and fundraising activities. As the Director, you recruit and lead senior volunteers at a highly professional level and work closely with the University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA) Board of Directors serving as an ex-officio member.
You will welcome the challenge of maximizing the University’s Annual Giving potential, collaborate with college and area-based advancement professionals, analyze and evaluate fundraising programs and plan strategic approaches.
You remain current on best practices and know how to foster a culture of philanthropy within the alumni body. And that is likely not enough! You will also manage current and future affinity programs by planning and implementing strategies aimed at providing strong services/benefits for constituents as well as increasing revenue generation for the University of Guelph and the UGAA.
And finally, you are passionate about building strong relationships both internally and externally, understand how to create platforms to expand a donor base, and love to listen, learn and communicate broadly.
If the following experience, attributes and competencies describe you, it means you must apply as you are the ideal candidate:
- A university degree and 6-8+ years of senior leadership experience in a university or comparable institutions;
- 6-8+ years experience setting and implementing strategy and plans for alumni engagement, programming and/or annual and leadership giving;
- Dynamic self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit who can think and lead strategically with imagination, and possesses a good sense of humor with the ability to challenge and inspire;
- Action-oriented, decisive, with proven ability to accurately analyze information and act;
- Proven track-record of problem-solving with creativity and tact;
- Sensitive to the needs of individuals and utilizes their strong political skills to maneuver within a complex organization;
- High energy with a positive attitude and the ability to provide ‘wow’ customer service;
- Ability to work well under pressure; persistence, perseverance, tenacity, integrity and patience;
- Highly competitive and self-motivated with the ability to “make it happen;” personal brand reflecting passion and urgency;
- Ability to coach and develop team members as well as influence colleagues and peers;
- Ability to become rapidly familiar with changing new technology and trends, assess innovation for institutional benefits and impact;
- Demonstrated experience building consensus and influencing direction and priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically and creatively in a dynamic high-pressure work environment, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and,
- Significant experience in business management and development, including budget planning and analysis
Position Number 394-076
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2019 08 06
Closing Date: 2019 08 28