Enterprise Data Architect
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Enterprise Data Architect
Institutional Data Strategy Program Team
Hiring #: 2021-0637
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Institutional Research & Planning (IRP), in partnership with Computing and Communication Services (CCS), is leading an institution-wide data strategy with a mission to get quality data in the hands of decision makers in a secure and timely manner, enabling faster, more effective and evidenced based decision making across the University. The role of Enterprise Data Architect presents a unique career opportunity to play a critical role in realizing this mission and supporting the strategic advancement the institution.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice-President, Institutional Research and Planning, and directed by the Data Strategy Program Manager, the Enterprise Data Architect will liaise with senior IT and business leaders across the University to develop data and information architecture solutions that are aligned with the vision and strategy of the University of Guelph, and the goals and objectives of the programs, enabling optimal performance and reducing duplication, while providing stability and extensibility.
The Enterprise Data Architect is responsible for establishing the architecture and frameworks that facilitate access to and flexible sharing and exchange of enterprise data, providing strategic technical oversight for the brokering of data with enterprise systems, building of new data product solutions, and the maintenance of data environments for driving successful business solutions. The architect coordinates the movement, enhancement, integration, quality and availability of data throughout the enterprise while adhering to data governance policies and practices.
Requirements of this position include:
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field. Ideally education is combined with training and/or certification in architectural frameworks, such as TOGAF, or Zachman.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience working within large complex data ecosystems ideally in the educational sector with direct experience developing, implementing and advancing an institutional (or enterprise) data architecture.
- A proven track record operating within complex data ecosystems and designing and implementing enterprise data architecture, data management, enterprise systems and solutions ideally within a complex (distributed) business environment.
- Experience implementing a modern data architecture, that supports quantity and variety of data form sensors/internet of things (IoT), real-time streaming and analytics-processing frameworks and hybrid architectures
- Demonstrated achievements related to data analyzing, modeling and integrating data.
- Hands-on implementation experience with Azure Cloud Data Solutions
- Experience defining and applying data governance, ideally in a higher education environment.
- Ability to educate and influence program stakeholders regarding goals, objectives and approach while collaborating and capitalizing on relationships to utilize their knowledge and resources to identify high quality solutions
- Expertise related to analyzing and critically evaluating information gathered from multiple sources, reconciling conflicts and deconstructing high-level information, while abstracting-up from low-level information to a more general understanding
- Knowledge of SQL, Business Analytics software (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI), ETL, ERP systems and Agile work management practices
- Demonstrated proficiency in basic computer applications, such as Microsoft Office software products as well as a deep understanding of algorithms, data structures, performance optimization techniques and solution development in a highly distributed team environment.
- Sound understanding of relational databases (SQL) and non-relational databases and experience with large database systems.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled both remotely (off-campus) and on-campus until the University resumes its regular operations (expected in January 2022).
Position Number 061-036
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2021 11 25
Closing Date: 2021 12 23