Financial Aid Coordinator
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Financial Aid Coordinator
Student Financial Services, Office of Registrarial Services
Hiring #: 2018-0589
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The Student Financial Aid Coordinator is responsible for the delivery of government financial aid programs, such as OSAP, Out of Provincial and U.S. Loan program in a student-centric environment within Student Financial Services. Government financial aid programs are critical to all aspects of students’ success. Financial situations and affordability impact prospective applicants, student retention, graduating students, and can significantly contribute to the mental health and wellness during any point of a student’s academic career. Government aid is a fundamental part of the University’s awards and student business operations.
This position within the Student Awards and Financial Aid unit of Student Financial Services provides financial service, counselling and leadership to more than 28,000 graduate, undergraduate, associate diploma, and Guelph-Humber students. Working under the general direction of the Manager, Student Awards and Financial Aid, the Coordinator is responsible for the delivery of government aid service to clients of Student Financial Services, ensuring that appropriate service level standards are established, monitored and met through the management of the Service Assistants.
The Coordinator provides leadership and professional expertise in the planning and implementation of operational processes to ensure the unit’s work is optimally aligned with key deliverables and deadlines. The incumbent is responsible for the supervision of three full-time and one part-time service assistants. They will:
- coordinate, schedule and direct the work of the Service Assistants, Student Financial Services;
- collaborate with the Manager of Student Business to ensure delivery of student billing and payment is delivered effectively through the Service Assistants
- manage three types of inquiry operations: in-person, telephone and email;
- participate in liaison activities both on campus and off-campus, with weekend involvement;
- develop processes that maintain a high level of student and stakeholder satisfaction.
The incumbent provides analytical and technical support for managing and coordinating data received from the Ministry and will be considered a subject-matter expert for the data files, processes and the outcomes of the student government aid data.
Requirements of the positions include:
- An undergraduate degree preferably in sociology or psychology
- Three years of progressive post-secondary institution experience, including government aid programs and supervisory experience
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the OSAP policies, procedures and audit requirements
- Knowledge of FIPPA
- Demonstrated ability to apply sound judgment and flexibility in decision making
- Excellent organizational, analytical, written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively in an integrative environment
- Demonstrated understanding of the University System including knowledge of university governing principles, practices, culture and organizational structures
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, high volume, constantly changing environment
- Advanced computer competency using the Microsoft Office suite, Colleague Student Information System or similar enterprise systems and ability to learn and adjust to new technology
- Occasional evenings and weekend work will be required
Position Number 443-027
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2018 11 21
Closing Date: 2019 01 07