Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Hiring #: 2019-0517
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Reporting to the Manager, Accounting and Financial Reporting, the incumbent will be responsible for gathering, analyzing, interpreting, and disseminating complex information required to provide advice to various financial information users across campus for use in sound financial decision-making. The individual will contribute to the financial management of administrative and academic units through the provision of professional expertise on expense control and financial accounting.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing professional guidance, leadership and support to the University community including directors and managers of operating units, finance and administrative officers, and senior management in the areas of financial performance, accounting treatment and compliance requirements;
- Ensuring financial integrity and accountability for the various Funds at the University by performing complex analyses of financial results against budget across academic and administrative units with a high degree of complexity requiring in-depth understanding and interpretation of accounting treatments;
- Supporting capital planning by analyzing, coordinating and developing key financial information pertaining to capital and infrastructure projects including forecasting impacts on cash flow and debt;
- Developing and implementing University cost studies to support resource allocation decisions and required reporting on indirect cost funding;
- Preparing University financial statements in accordance with Canadian GAAP, including accompanying analyses for annual financial reporting and audit purposes;
- Preparing accurate and complete financial reports for internal and external use on a timely basis, including those for COFO, CAUBO, StatsCan, CRA and provincial government ministries;
- Continually improving processes to ensure that financial information flows in a timely and accurate manner, including analysis of large volumes of financial transactions for data accuracy;
- Developing, coordinating and instructing workshops to educate internal and external personnel on financial policies, procedures, accounting practices and related computer systems; and
- Participating in special projects, committees and task groups as needed.
Requirements of the position include;
- An undergraduate degree in a related field along with a minimum of four years of related experience or a combination of related education and experience.
- Certified Professional Accountant (“CPA”) designation is required.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in dealing with complex issues and time pressures;
- Excellent analytical, organizational, planning and accounting skills. Knowledge of HST-GST within the context of an Ontario University would be an asset;
- Ability to work in a fully computerized environment with various integrated systems and strong skills in the Microsoft Excel and Word. Experience with Oracle and Cognos software would be an asset;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, be proactive and a self-starter; and
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Position Number 012-003
*Tentative evaluation; subject to committee review.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2019 10 07
Closing Date: 2019 10 22