Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Office, Clerical and Technical
Position covered by the Memorandum of Agreement with the University of Guelph Exempt Group
Hiring #: 2020-0390
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Working in a client-oriented, team environment, the Governance Assistant provides key administrative and secretarial support to the Governing bodies of the University including the Senate, Board of Governors and University hearing bodies. The primary focus of the position being filled is to support the Board of Governors and its respective standing committees.
Using strong communication and interpersonal skills the Governance Assistant works closely with a variety of internal and external stakeholders including the Office of the President, members of senior administration, external volunteers, faculty, staff and students. The position provides professional and confidential support to each of the areas of responsibility under the purview of the University Secretariat, and contributes to the effective and efficient operation of institutional governance and the University Secretariat through independent initiative and personal accountability for the responsibilities assigned.
Reporting to the Associate University Secretary (Board), the position carries responsibilities that inter-relate with and support all other members of the University Secretariat team, as well as members of Board of Governors and Senate. The incumbent maintains the highest levels of professionalism reflecting the confidential nature of the many aspects of the work of the University Secretariat, Board of Governors, Senate, and University hearing bodies. A high level of accuracy, attention to detail, tact and diplomacy is required.
Requirements of the position include:
- Two (2) years community college plus two (2) years university experience providing support for the senior executive level (e.g. VP, AVP, or decanal level) or supporting the senior executive level in the private sector
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills, ability to interact with a variety of stakeholders including members of senior administration
- Demonstrated strong writing skills, including the ability to effectively minute meeting proceedings
- Organizational, analytical, & logistical management and related problem-solving skills
- Highly attentive to accuracy and details
- Strong computing skills and ability to use a range of software and online tools
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to shift priorities as necessary
- Professional, tactful and diplomatic; well-developed sense of discretion in handling sensitive or confidential matters
- Knowledge of University policies, procedures and protocols preferred
- Experience in financial processing preferred.
This appointment is regularly performed on- campus but will be initially fulfilled remotely (off-campus) until the University resumes its regular operations
Position Number 017-004
Classification Exempt Group Salary Band 5
Salary Range $25.23 Minimum (Level 1)
$28.18 Normal Hiring Limit (Level 3)
$34.13 Job Rate (Level 7)
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2020 11 18
Closing Date: 2020 12 02