Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Office, Clerical and Technical
G360 Institute for Groundwater Research
College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS)
Temporary full-time from April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2021
Hiring #: 2019-0153
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Established in 2008, the G360 Institute for Groundwater Research (G360; g360group.org) represents the University of Guelph’s response to global challenges relating to safe and sustainable water supplies that support human populations and ecosystems. The G360 Institute is a platform for transformational change in how we think about and engage with stakeholders from the community, government, municipalities, industry, agriculture, and engineering consulting firms, to advance research knowledge, expertise and technology relating to bedrock groundwater systems. Supporters of our research program contribute an average of 5 million dollars per year and include contributors from governments, multinational corporations and big industry. G360 is a large, multifaceted research institute with a fast-paced, highly varied, and richly rewarding work environment.
Reporting to the Lab Manager, the Lab Technician is responsible for the implementation of laboratory techniques for analyses of chemicals related to the scientific research conducted by the G360 Institute. The incumbent will be involved in laboratory data management. Support related to sample preparation (crushing, weighing, etc.) may be required. While this position is primarily an in-laboratory position, occasional fieldwork and travel may also be required.
- Inorganic and organic sample preparation according to Standard Operating Procedures and QC procedures
- Microwave assisted extraction, ion selective probes, spectrophotometry, sonication
- Sample reception, logging and storing
- Maintaining an inventory of samples and a system to locate them easily
- Calibrating, operating, maintaining and troubleshooting the laboratory equipment
- Monitoring laboratory supplies and ordering when needed
- Maintaining existing and developing new laboratory protocols and standard operating procedures
- Mentoring and overseeing co-op students and ensuring that all safety protocols are followed
- Supporting other members of the Institute in the lab and field work
- Ensuring proper lab waste disposal
- Supporting Institute outreach activities such as, but not limited to College Royale and H202Go
- Supporting the Procurement Coordinator with shipping and receiving activities
- Supporting Institute administrative initiatives
Requirements of the position include: Bachelor’s degree (BSc or BASc) in analytical chemistry, hydrogeochemistry or related area, with some laboratory analytical experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. This position requires strong task management and organizational skills, strong computer skills (including proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets for data input, processing and archiving), and strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written). Candidates must be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
Classification Grant/ Trust fund position, Band 5 (excluded grid)
Normal Hiring Range $23.73 - $26.50 per hour
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2019 03 13
Closing Date: 2019 03 27