Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Office of Legal Counsel
Hiring #: 2023-0270
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
The role of Legal Counsel works within the Office of Legal Counsel (OLC). The OLC provides practical advice on a variety of legal matters including but not limited to: policies and procedures, business and commercial contracts (such as procurement, real estate, construction, sponsorship agreements, software, IT, academic contracts), intellectual property, human rights, municipal matters, real property and facilities issues, privacy issues, estates, charitable donations, administrative tribunal matters, governance, student housing, student issues, professional regulatory matters as applicable (i.e. veterinarians) and general employment matters.
The provision of legal services takes place in a highly decentralized environment with numerous stakeholders with an expectation of collegial decision-making while understanding the unique academic environment of a University setting. Legal Counsel must have excellent communication skills and the ability to influence or shift opinions so as to assist decision makers in reaching consensus on complex matters. Legal Counsel must demonstrate sound judgement and the ability to explain complicated legal issues to senior members and administrators at the University. Legal Counsel participates on committees and working groups as assigned, representing the Office of Legal Counsel in a professional manner that builds relationships, encourages inter-departmental collaboration and promotes the University's strategic goals. In addition, the incumbent must seek out and encourage decision makers to engage with the OLC to encourage a more proactive approach to legal matters and legal risk. This proactive approach requires outreach to various units across campus and the ability to service clients from a “value added” perspective.
Legal Counsel will be expected to provide the following legal and other services as assigned:
- providing legal advice to the University on a range of issues with specialization or emphasis in procurement, real estate, construction, IT, municipal matters and other matters as assigned;
- providing advice and input in policy development and implementation.
- Proactively identify legal issues, risks and makes strategic recommendations,
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating contracts and a wide variety of legal agreements
- handling a variety of complex assigned legal projects
- providing input in matters of legal risk management or reputational risk
- developing and presenting training workshops to internal clients
- appearing before external bodies on behalf of the University
- assuming role of Acting General Counsel in the absence of General Counsel
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate they possess the following attributes:
- Successful completion of Bachelor of Law (LLB) program
- Must be a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario
- Minimum 4 years’ experience practicing law, inclusive of knowledge and experience of best practices in university governance; ideally in an academic or broader public sector environment.
- High degree of ethics and integrity and ability to inspire confidence, trust, and respect of key stakeholders.
- Exceptional research capabilities and problem-solving skills
- Experience in providing sophisticated legal advice, with the ability to exercise sound judgement and tact in advising on sensitive and complex issues while mitigating risk
Position Number 026-003
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2023 05 08
Closing Date: 2023 06 12 (extended)