Manager, Business Operations
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Manager, Business Operations
Open Learning and Educational Support
Temporary full-time from December 1, 2022 to August 1, 2024
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2022-0690
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Open Learning and Educational Support is an integral part of the University of Guelph’s learner-centred and research-intensive mission.
As leaders in education, we create innovative and relevant educational opportunities that meet the learning needs of a local and international audience. We are guided by learner-centered principles that are reflected in our diverse programs and rich learning experiences for traditional and lifelong learners. We intentionally integrate pedagogy with technology in the design, development and delivery of our educational programs. Through research and collaboration, we engage in scholarship to advance the teaching and learning mandate of the University.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Manager, Business Operations will provide expertise in three key areas of business: financial management, human resources and administration. More specifically, the Manager, Business Operations will:
- Develop budgets, financial forecasts, KPIs and financial strategies that are reflective of the department’s financial structure and support the achievement of the cost recovery/revenue generation mandate;
- Develop, recommend and implement strategic financial plans for collaborative business partnerships;
- Develop and provide data analysis and statistical reporting on department financials to inform direction and priorities;
- Develop reports on operating results utilizing various methods, software and advanced data visualizations;
- Provide financial expertise to a team of managers across the department;
- Draft formal agreements with internal and external organizations, prepare interim, month end and year-end financial reports;
- Lead and mentor a financial, human resource and operational team;
- Provide leadership and guidance on human resource strategies including recruitment, hiring, orientation, goal setting, performance management, policies and procedures;
- Provide expertise and leadership on internal and external committees as required;
- Support the effective use of physical resources and allocation including space, furniture, tools and equipment
- Provide expertise to special projects as assigned.
Requirements of the position include: an undergraduate degree in a related field and a CPA designation together with several years’ related experience preferably in a university setting. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. HRPA designation is an asset. The incumbent must evidence the ability to balance the strategic and tactical requirements of the role, as well as sound judgement, initiative, ability to work independently as well as part of a team, and exhibit a client focused approach and analytical thinking. The incumbent will have advanced knowledge of Microsoft products, specifically, Excel pivot tables, advanced macros, and data visualization software. The incumbent will also evidence the ability to develop and foster effective relationships, meeting facilitation and presentation skills, written and oral communication; contract and proposal writing; organizational, project management, time management and interpersonal skills as well as an ability to work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment. An understanding of University of Guelph financial and administrative policies and procedures is preferred in addition to experience in working in an entrepreneurial department.
Position Number 056-028
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2022 11 16
Closing Date: 2022 12 07 (extended)