Manager, Finance and Operations
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Manager, Finance and Operations
Open Learning and Educational Support
Temporary full-time from March 2023 to September 2024
Temporary absence of the regular incumbent
Hiring #: 2023-0038
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Open Learning and Educational Support is an integral part of the University of Guelph’s learner-centred and research-intensive mission. As leaders in education, we create innovative and relevant educational opportunities that meet the learning needs of a local and international audience. We are guided by learner-centred principles that are reflected in our diverse programs and rich learning experiences for traditional and lifelong learners. We intentionally integrate pedagogy with technology in the design, development and delivery of our educational programs. Through research and collaboration, we engage in scholarship to advance the teaching and learning mandate of the University.
As Manager of Finance and Operations, you will play a vital role in these endeavours by providing leadership and expertise in three key areas of business: financial management, human resources and administration. Reporting to the Executive Director, and effectively balancing strategic thinking with tactical strengths, you will:
- Develop budgets, financial forecasts, KPIs and financial strategies that are reflective of the department’s financial structure and support the achievement of the cost recovery/revenue generation mandate;
- Develop, recommend and implements strategic financial plans for collaborative business partnerships;
- Develop and provide data analysis and statistical reporting on department financials to inform direction and priorities;
- Report on operating results, utilizing various methods, software and advanced data visualizations;
- Provide financial expertise to a team of managers across the department;
- Draft formal agreements with internal and external organizations, and prepare interim, month-end and year-end financial reports;
- Lead and mentor the financial, human resource and operational team; and
- Provide expertise to special projects, as assigned.
To assume the role of Manager, Finance and Operations, you must be an experienced CPA with sound judgment and initiative, calm under pressure and possessing:
- An undergraduate degree in a related field and a CPA designation with several years’ related experience.
- The ability to balance the strategic and tactical requirements of the role, and demonstrate sound judgement, initiative, and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft products, specifically, Excel pivot tables, advanced macros, and data visualization software.
- Client-focused approach and analytical thinking, with the ability to develop and foster effective relationships.
- Meeting facilitation and presentation, written and oral communication, and contract and proposal writing skills.
- Organizational, project management, time management and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Previous experience working in a post-secondary environment and an understanding of the financial and administrative policies and procedures;
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment;
- HRPA designation.
(Covering) Position Number 056-028
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2023 03 15
Closing Date: 2023 04 05 (extended)