Manager, Finance, Grants & Contracts
Forbes includes U of G Among Canada’s Best Employers
Professional and Managerial Group
Manager, Finance, Grants & Contracts
G360 Institute for Groundwater Research
Temporary full-time from January 2, 2018 to December 31, 2023
Hiring # 2017-0605
Please read the Application Instructions before applying
Established in 2008, the G360 Institute for Groundwater Research (G360) represents the University of Guelph’s response to global challenges relating to safe and sustainable water supplies that support human populations and ecosystems. The G360 Institute is a platform for transformational change in how we think about and engage with stakeholders from the community, government, municipalities, industry, agriculture, and engineering consulting firms, to advance research knowledge, expertise and technology relating to bedrock groundwater systems.
With an annual operating budget of $3-5M, G360 leads multi-institutional, multi-college (within the University of Guelph) and multi-disciplinary collaborative research projects and programs to better understand and manage groundwater flow and contaminant behaviour, and to communicate advances in tools, methods and technologies to the stakeholder community. The Institute hosts: (1) field-based sponsored research on privately owned industrial sites; (2) publicly funded programs and/or large multi-institution collaborations that may be provincial, national or international in scope; (3) a major External Sponsors and Partnership program, The University Consortium for Field-Focused Groundwater Research with numerous Federal and Provincial grants and (4) a globally unique Research Station, the Bedrock Aquifer Field Facility, located at the University of Guelph.
Reporting to the Director and Chief Operating Officer of G360 the Manager Finance, Grants & Contracts will play a key role in the efficient, effective and accountable financial control and reporting of a portfolio of grant- and contract-funded research programs valued at $3-5 M annually with approximately 40-50 active accounts having individual budgets in excess of $600K. Key duties include:
- Timely Financial reporting (including audit) and presentation to external and internal stakeholders
- Compliance and Purchasing Oversight
- Variance analysis (budget to actual) and developing forecasting tools
- Client relationship management and contract negotiations
Requirements of the position include:
- Undergraduate degree plus a professional accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA) together with a minimum of 5 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Candidates who hold a Master’s degree in a science and engineering related field will be preferred;
- Experience in public sector financial management and/or familiarity with the academic environment;
- Experience in developing financial reports and monitoring variances;
- Comprehensive knowledge of computer financial software and MS Office Suite;
- Excellent organizational skills as well as the ability to prioritize and adapt to competing demands;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and build relationships with numerous stakeholders;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills;
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills;
- Positive attitude to ensure the Institute is effectively managing its reporting and compliance requirements for all funding.
Professional/Managerial Salary Bands
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.